SYOS

Sax&Drugs&Rock&Roll

dooce

I am looking forward to seeing the new movie about one of my great heroes, Ian Dury. The actor who plays Dury, Andy Serkis (also Gollum of Lord of the Rings) has been trawled around the media circuit over the last few days - one of the things I was impressed to learn is that he plays sax, and even got to contribute on some of the film sound track!

How cool is that :w00t:

There ain't 'alf been some clever b*st*rds.........

Mamos

I too am looking forward to seeing the film

I was talking to Davey Payne in ASDA last year and he has a cameo appearance in the film. I think he bumps into the the actor playing himself in the toilets or something.

Anyway well worth a watch I reckon

mamos

OP
dooce

dooce

I was talking to Davey Payne in ASDA last year and he has a cameo appearance in the film. I think he bumps into the the actor playing himself in the toilets or something.
He wouldn't be confusing it with the scene where he headbuts Chas Jankel at a gig 'cos he's playing too loud?

Just got back from seeing it (along with 7 other hardy souls who braved the Northampton Vue cinema on a cold Sunday evening) and it is great. They capture the energy and power of Dury and the band brilliantly, and also give a pretty convincing demonstration that while it may not be compulsory for a successful performer to be a complete *rseh*le, it probably helps.......

neil

went to see the film today....wasnt exactly what i expected,,,a bit arty...not much reference to Stiff records and his relationship to wreckless Eric etc but still a really great film....Andy Sirtis is amazingly like Ian Dury especially in the vocalisation..i would certainly recommend going to see it.
ps..i do hope not all sax players are as violent as Dayvey Payne.

neil

there was only about 7 ot 8 people watching it at the Hull vue cinema too Dooce.....I really hope more people do go and see it..it deserves better than that.

daveysaxboy

Big ruff Geordie bendy metal blower
Cant wait also.I seen the Blockheads a few years back at a free gig in the park,also Courtney Pine played,free also,wow thats rare these days.Wish i had seen them with Mr Dury.The blockheads had a young tenor player with them,he was a cracking player and that band can cook,when there in the zone theres some magic flying about.Stellar band and players.

Stephen Howard

I saw Ian Dury & the Blockheads at the Town & Country club many years ago, when they were doing the Charlie Charles Benefit tour. It was one of the best gigs I've ever been to, if not the best.

I have very fond memories of Dury's music ( he used to live a few miles down the road from me ), in particular the time I was sat in my shop on a quiet day and decided to pop a tape on.
I just grabbed the first thing that came to hand and pushed it into the machine - at about the same time as a rather posh lady walked into the shop. She just had time to say "Good morning, I do so wonder if you might be able to help me" when the stereo burst into song.
It couldn't have been worse - it was Plaistow Patrica...and out came the non-too-lilting tones of Dury and that all too unfortunate first line.

Many years later I was talking to my eldest son about his choice of music, and it seemed to me that the more swear words there were in it, the more kids of his age seemed to like it. I didn't mind the words, I just thought the music was appalling - so I gave him a Blockheads CD to listen to.
About an hour later he asked me if I could put it on his MP3 player so that he could play it to all the other kids in school.

Regards,

Taz

Busking Oracle
ps..i do hope not all sax players are as violent as Dayvey Payne.
What are you suggesting eh? Just come here and say that! Are you starting? I don't think I like the cut of your jib young man!

Now, where' me valium......:)

OP
dooce

dooce

Cant wait also.I seen the Blockheads a few years back at a free gig in the park,also Courtney Pine played,free also,wow thats rare these days.Wish i had seen them with Mr Dury.The blockheads had a young tenor player with them,he was a cracking player and that band can cook,when there in the zone theres some magic flying about.Stellar band and players.
I've seen them with Davey Payne, and more recently with a guy called Dave Lewis (great player) and of course with Gilad Atzmon - an absolute legend. They don't muck about with second-rate saxmen!

Top Bottom