All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Sax Chops Busted!!

EddieMichael

Locality
Portland
I got a nasty blister under my bottom lip from practicing long hours. Just switched mouthpieces/size from 7* Link to a Dukoff D 9 which gave my chops an extra workout.

Any pro tips for fastest healing???

jbtsax

Subscriber
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
The best approach is to stop practicing and let the tissue heal. An ointment like Oragel can promote healing and help with the discomfort. Irritating the area further only delays the healing process. I have used Ezo denture cushions for years to make a covering for my sharp and jagged bottom teeth. The problem is that they have been discontinued and those that are left are selling at inflated prices. There may be other similar products, but I am not yet aware of them.
"Singing and fingering" the music is not a bad substitute when you can't physically play for a while. ;)

1595440034007.jpeg

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
Yes, I used them for many years ago. They didn't last so long. Just a few hours. And it's also hard to clean them (read impossible). I have a thin teeth protection that hockey players use. And my friend is running a dental technician business and he is going to help me with a real teeth protection. Softer and thinner compared to the hockey ones. And you just need a small one that cover 4 teeth. Yellow, green, red, green ..... but also in a more "vintage" colour ...... . It can be done .... . I have the same feeling with my teeth as I have with my ears after 1½-2 hours. They get "tired".

Morph

Locality
United Kingdom
This won't help with your current healing, but do you generally play with a lip in or lip out embouchure?

I originally started on oboe and starting playing sax with my bottom lip tucked in, this caused my teeth to cut my bottom lip (I think this is sometimes called a "clarinet" embouchure). Anyway, one of my teachers encouraged me to change, and it really opened up my sound. Another advantage is that it completely stopped any bottom lip blisters/cuts etc.

I now play with my lip in "neutral way" like making a "V" sound as in "very". People call this "lip out", I'm not sure if it's lip out but it's definitely not lip in!

good luck!

Morph

Locality
United Kingdom
There's a great Jerry Bergonzi video on youtube about this, but the forum won't allow me to post (not sure why!). It's called "Jerry Bergonzi Sax Lesson n.1 (con sottotitoli in Italiano)"

OP
EddieMichael

EddieMichael

Locality
Portland
This won't help with your current healing, but do you generally play with a lip in or lip out embouchure?

I originally started on oboe and starting playing sax with my bottom lip tucked in, this caused my teeth to cut my bottom lip (I think this is sometimes called a "clarinet" embouchure). Anyway, one of my teachers encouraged me to change, and it really opened up my sound. Another advantage is that it completely stopped any bottom lip blisters/cuts etc.

I now play with my lip in "neutral way" like making a "V" sound as in "very". People call this "lip out", I'm not sure if it's lip out but it's definitely not lip in!

good luck!
Yeah! I usually form my basic embouchure by making an "F" sound. I do extend my bottom lip out more for lower notes and tuck it in more for higher notes... Not sure how proper that is but it seems to work fairly well for me...

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom