support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Satin Doll

One of my favorites. Your tone is great, it's really come along lately and your intonation is right there. It's great to hear you progressing so quickly. I can't wait for you to let go, let rip and swing it man.

Guys thanks for the support and the comments. These slightly quicker tunes are something my tutor wants me to work with as he's getting fed up of me playing ballads>:). I just keep saying I'm built for comfort not speed. Plus my sax is custom made for Ballads>:) But he won't listen:)))

Chris..

Hi Chris,
I still feel you're too reserved.
Your tone is coming around and that does take some time, but your inflections
are too one dimensional. Use your embouchure to bend or create tension within them.
You have to break out of your complacency. Take one sequence of your choice, or even one note, and see how many ways you can attack, or alter, each note while you practice. Use your embouchure to your advantage. The embouchure isn't just for air stream to vibrate the reed. You have the free will to create the usage of the air stream.
I really think by expressing more feeling within the notes (dynamics) will change how you play for the better. You make it sound like your highly intimidated. Get past that. The very fact that you post music shows a certain security, definitely. So, now get to the next level and taste the notes. Don't be intimidated....Let us hear the inner you......Use the horn as your prosthesis for emotion.
What I mean by that is words prohibit our emotive qualities online. Music transcends that.

Hi Chris,
I still feel you're too reserved.
Your tone is coming around and that does take some time, but your inflections
are too one dimensional. Use your embouchure to bend or create tension within them.
You have to break out of your complacency. Take one sequence of your choice, or even one note, and see how many ways you can attack, or alter, each note while you practice. Use your embouchure to your advantage. The embouchure isn't just for air stream to vibrate the reed. You have the free will to create the usage of the air stream.
I really think by expressing more feeling within the notes (dynamics) will change how you play for the better. You make it sound like your highly intimidated. Get past that. The very fact that you post music shows a certain security, definitely. So, now get to the next level and taste the notes. Don't be intimidated....Let us hear the inner you......Use the horn as your prosthesis for emotion.
What I mean by that is words prohibit our emotive qualities online. Music transcends that.

That's the advice there for sure.As for my take on it I try to work on EVERY note i play.If theres a lot of space really think on every note in tone,sound,emotion,bends,intonation,expression,meaning,happy,sad,use of the space around the note/notes etc etc etc.You get my drift.I'm talking more on less notes here of course.I always try,yes try is the word !!!!! to play whats in my head.And less is more I think.When you hear a great cat playing a simple few notes and they hit the nail on the head there working it and really thinking and getting inside them few simple tones.And the most important thing I always think is the 13th note, the note of space.Try and think of a great singer you like.Hear/listen how they play with notes they sing.The sax is a lead voice so try and think like a lead singer.All the above is what I try and do as a sax dude.Its a never ending exercise as i'm doing all this on every song I play.

@Chris

Good to see you getting the more up tempo swingers in Chris.As said its great to watch you grow and open your wings.

As far as playing fast goes, it helps your slow playing because you feel to have all the time in the world when you slow down again.

Try playing stuff without any accompaniment or a metronome to reinforce your natural sense of tempo and rhythm.

I would like to say also to not let the encouragement and enthusiasm of more seasoned players weigh on you. We can all hear how far you've come and how very close you are to a break through. Keep doing whatever you're doing. It's working.

See now I feel weighed down with the burden of expectation:verysad It could drive a sax player to tears:crying: Don't worry I'll rise above it. At least to 5' 7" anyway:)))

Joking aside, thanks for the continuing support and advice.:thumb: It's all welcome..:)

Chris..

chris nice tone, lovely playing.

but if it's fast you want. there's a trick I learnt from my father on how to learn fast runs.. fast. (he was a guitar teacher, clarinettist but these days he only plays bass clarinet once or twice a week)

anyways: let's say we've got a bar 4/4 time signature filled with 16th notes. to get this into your fingers you play it like its a 8th note with a dot (dont know the term) and a sixteenth note. the second time you can to it the other way around. then play it normal again..

the terminology is escaping me right now so it probably isnt quite clear so i made you a graphic.
for chris.png

Koen, it wasn't that I wanted fast. Just my tutor looking for something a little quicker. Thanks for the tip though I'll keep it in mind for future use.. Thanks for the comments on the tune..

Chris..

Good advice from Mike and Davey. You've got the notes and the tone. Time to bring on the feel and dynamics. There are lots of different exercises you could incorporate into playing this or any tune: sing it, think of the lyrics when playing, build and diminish (dynamics), swing or other rhythmic alterations, etc. All of these are the keys to communicating something more than just playing the right note in the right place. You are more than ready to do this and it's the next logical step.

Maybe you're just teasing us?

Back
Top Bottom