Tutorials

Satellite TV - Sky HD box or FreeSat HD box?

half diminished

I sacked sky some while ago and just kept the sky+ box for which I pay £10 per month for sky+, I got fed up with them shaving stuff of my existing package (then£32 per month) and trying to convince me to upgrade at a higher cost. Strangely, I dropped £22 per month in cost but saw no change at all to my channel mix despite in effect ending my previous package.

Anyway, the 3+ year old digibox is playing up a bit and I am considering upgrading it so it makes sense to go HD though I'll not be subscribing to HD channels, just getting BBC1, ITV1 and Channel 4.

So my question, stick with Sky or go for FreeSat. My favoured boxes are the new Amstrad DRX895 Sky+HD digibox (£300 and continue to pay £10 per month to satan) or go for the Humax FOXSAT-HDR 500GB freesat Digital TV Recorder (same cost).

Any thoughts on Sky+HD vs Freesat HD/Recording or the two boxes in question?

old git

Tremendous Bore
First, does one need to reply to both threads, or will this one do?:)

Recently purchased a TechniSat HDFS FreeSat box and generally delighted. Main reason was the restriction to only one BBC Red Button channel on Freeview. Used to be available on 105, 301 and 302 but the BBC HD channel has restricted it to 301. As the European Underwater Stoat Strangling Championship seems to be higher ranked than MotoGP practising, FreeSat held the answer. The added attraction of having BBC iPlayer offering programme replay without having to waggle the trackball to stop the screensaver dropping in on the computer and in 1080 if original broadcast was in HD format. With a cheap USB hard disk, record and replay as well as the pause live TV options featured on the + boxes are available, the one restriction being only one tuner, so recording can only be recorded on the tuned channel.

Cannot help on the Sky comparison as I avoid the Murdoch organisation if possible but would say that FreeSat is better than the early cable system. If you are a real TV freak, the HDFS will run in FreeSat and TechniSat mode which will give FreeSat or around 800 TV channels from the Freesat satellite respectively if you can find some way of decrypting and they do offer excellent advice from their UK site in Milton Keynes.

If you want to have a look young Ian, PM me and btw, how's Karen?

OP
half diminished

half diminished

To answer you points:

• Dunno why there are 2 threads. I made a small change to what I thought was the original and voila!
  • I don't inderstand all the techno babble my old friend. I have a HD plasma TV, a Sky+ box and a DVD/HDD recorder that takes an age to start up and that no one in the house can operate! I once recorded some programmes onto it (BBC3's Jazz Britannia - a damn good watch) but having accessed them once I now cannot ever find the content again! I even use HDMI and SCART, the latter no being necessary because of the former. As I said, I know next to nothing about TVs etc.
  • I am loath to lose access to Sky Arts and the Sky Sports (and Dave) but somehow I expect Murdock to personally notice that I get more than I should for my £10 and stop the service the week after I get my new HD box. I wonder what programmes I'd get on Sky Freesat if they cut me off?
  • I'm not so interested in Stoats but do like the idea of iPlayer via the TV though my broadband speed is currently so bad I doubt it'd work any better that it does on the mac. I do hope to get this sorted in the next week though.
  • Karen was fine when I saw her last week. FYI a few of her students are setting up an ensemble and she and other pro musicians will be guest band leading to help get us up and running so watch this space. :w00t:

Top Bottom