All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Sassafrass and cat skittles

Wade Cornell

Good rendition! You've got the feel and structure well pinned down. A few places you seemed unsure (don't know why). Happy for you or others to use this as a melodic improv exercise as it's (IMHO) a very important aspect of playing that get's little/no attention. I have heaps of other similar tracks with varying degrees of difficulty for anyone who wants.

TimboSax

Deputy junior apprentice 2nd class
Café Supporter
Hi Wade. Thanks for this. I'd be interested in any other tracks like this, that's very kind of you. I often loop song sections so that I can practice over the top of them - did it with guitar and now doing it for sax.

I'm still unsure of most of what I play :) I'm coming up to 6 months playing the sax and, while it's better than it was (!), it's not as good as it will be...

Wade Cornell

Hi Wade. Thanks for this. I'd be interested in any other tracks like this, that's very kind of you. I often loop song sections so that I can practice over the top of them - did it with guitar and now doing it for sax.

I'm still unsure of most of what I play :) I'm coming up to 6 months playing the sax and, while it's better than it was (!), it's not as good as it will be...

Wow only 6 months! That's great. Keep going as few can do what you've done in that short a time (I couldn't). Send (PM) me your E-mail address if you wish to receive more backings. IMHO the exercise of listening and making up your own melodic lines is the most important exercise you can do. It engages you directly to listen and react musically. It's also good to study theory, composition, harmony, counterpoint etc. which will give you an understanding of what can work and why, but does not give the player the ability to play as they would sing.

Jamesmac

You dont surprise me at all Timbo, because ive already heard your guitar playing, My advice Keep working on those tone exercises, that is the key for you with the sax. i work on the very same thing every day.

TimboSax

Café Supporter
Thanks Wade, PM sent.

The bulk of my practice is just playing along with music, either trying to learn specific parts or just noodling along on top. If I feel I need to work on a particular aspect, I find a tune to play along to that will emphasise it. I'm afraid I've never been very good at doing specific standalone exercises. I'd probably be better for it if I did, but I get bored easily and don't have the patience. For example, the idea of practicing low tones for 10 minutes fills me with dread, but playing a low drone to a track is fun, because it's music :)

TimboSax

Café Supporter
You dont surprise me at all Timbo, because ive already heard your guitar playing, My advice Keep working on those tone exercises, that is the key for you with the sax. i work on the very same thing every day.

Thanks Jim, I've been playing guitar quite a bit longer, but there's still a long way to go with that as well :D

I agree about the tone, and I've been trying to work on improving it, particularly by playing softer and trying to control how it sounds. I know it's me and not the equipment, because I visited Ed P and heard him play my gear. It sounded great when he did it, less so when I played. So I know the sounds are there somewhere, I've just got to find out how to get at them!

Oh, and then I just need to work on intonation (which drives me mad), articulation, breath control, dexterity...and generally getting plenty of muscle memory built up. It's a good job I'm enjoying this!

Profusia

Hey Timbo, good to hear you posting sax tracks again! I had to have a listen to this as downloaded a couple of Wades BTs a week or so ago myself (this one included) and had a blow over them one evening. Didn't get to anything worthy of posting but hope to get back to it when time permits. And yes Wade, would love more of your BTs to have a blow over.

As to your track Timbo I really liked it - it felt very natural and at ease. Particularly liked the last few bars/ending. And your note bending has come on phenomenally! Nice one mate.

TimboSax

Café Supporter
Hi Thomas, how're you doing. Thanks for your comments, I used the Wade method (TM) of singing at the track and then playing what I sang, which helped me move away from playing what I already know what to play, towards melodies that sound right but are outside my current playing lexicon.

So now my wife has to put up with my singing as well as the sax...>:)

Profusia

Hi Thomas, how're you doing. Thanks for your comments, I used the Wade method (TM) of singing at the track and then playing what I sang, which helped me move away from playing what I already know what to play, towards melodies that sound right but are outside my current playing lexicon.

Doing good buddy thanks. I've committed to trying this "sing it first" approach myself but haven't quite managed to make myself actually do it yet. Partly because of lack of time but also just not quite coming to terms with it yet. You've encouraged me to buckle down and give it a go though now.

So now my wife has to put up with my singing as well as the sax...>:)

There's a joke there somewhere but I think I'd best move swiftly on...

TimboSax

Café Supporter
There's a joke there somewhere but I think I'd best move swiftly on...

Uncanny, that's exactly what she said...

sofa.gif

Wade Cornell

Hey Timbo, good to hear you posting sax tracks again! I had to have a listen to this as downloaded a couple of Wades BTs a week or so ago myself (this one included) and had a blow over them one evening. Didn't get to anything worthy of posting but hope to get back to it when time permits. And yes Wade, would love more of your BTs to have a blow over.

As to your track Timbo I really liked it - it felt very natural and at ease. Particularly liked the last few bars/ending. And your note bending has come on phenomenally! Nice one mate.

Send me a PM with your E-mail and I'll send you some new tracks.

Wade Cornell

Done. Many thanks indeed Wade.

PS Do we need a "Wade's Backing Tracks" thread for people to post their sound clip links on?

I have to defer in two respects: 1. Although I was intimately involved in each of these tracks, the backing doesn't include me and is just the guitarist Gerhard Lottermoser (my New Zealand musical partner). 2. It would be up to the Cafe's moderators to determine if they thought there was a desire/need for another backing track musical format.

These tracks are significantly different to playing "standards". They are mostly modal, they mostly have no tune/melodic line, and no musical notation or charts are provided. They are specifically about challenging the player to come up with a melody/tune and just using their ears to do it. In some ways it's a very advanced exercise and in some ways extremely simple. IMHO it's a critical exercise for anyone who is serious about being a creative player and wants to have something more to offer than just "playing the changes". It's just you listening and reacting with your horn as your voice. IMHO that's the core and essence of real improvisation. It's never too early to try and make your instrument your voice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom