support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Big band Sant Andreu Jazz Band

jbtsax

in memoriam 1947 - 2023
Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
It never ceases to amaze me how members at the Café are constantly calling my attention to artists, groups, and recordings that I would have otherwise missed.

The latest example is this group of high school musicians in Spain led by Joan Chamorrow that I learned about by going to a link with an interview of Aubra Graves in which he mentions the group.

The Sant Andreu Jazz Band is made up of high school age players and vocalists, but it features some professional players as soloists on some of the recordings. Enjoy! :)

And what is nice too is that some of those kids have moved to the professional realm - for example Andrea Motis.
And nice too that those teachers (Joan Chamorro, Ignazi Terraza, Josep Traver, Esteve Pi) have switched from being "Joan Chamorro Quartet" to become "Andrea Motis Quintet".

I was searching for versions of Desafinado and this one popped up from the same stable of musicians. Rita Payes sings it so beautifully and Scott Hamilton seems to be having a ball in their company.

Rhys

Last edited:
This is the first time I have heard Scott Hamilton. What a beautifully constructed solo. I am definitely going to follow him from now on.

This is the first time I have heard Scott Hamilton. What a beautifully constructed solo. I am definitely going to follow him from now on.

I've been following him since 1978 when he was a young fogey. I've seen him live many times and he is such a fluent and melodic player. He comes over to Europe most summers I think and plays many of the jazz festivals as well as his own gigs with local rhythm sections and groups.

Rhys

I've been following him since 1978 when he was a young fogey. I've seen him live many times and he is such a fluent and melodic player. He comes over to Europe most summers I think and plays many of the jazz festivals as well as his own gigs with local rhythm sections and groups.

Rhys

He lives in Italy Biography

I was binging on their YouTube videos a Spotify over the summer - I'm also a Scott Hamilton fan so the combination is fantastic for me. It's really cool to see the "vintage" players performing with the younger musicians. Would be great to go and see these guys live.

I was binging on their YouTube videos a Spotify over the summer - I'm also a Scott Hamilton fan so the combination is fantastic for me. It's really cool to see the "vintage" players performing with the younger musicians. Would be great to go and see these guys live.
They played In Bern in May this year at mother's day gala. Scott comes to Switzerland at the beginning of February, playing in Lausanne and Geneva.

They played In Bern in May this year at mother's day gala. Scott comes to Switzerland at the beginning of February, playing in Lausanne and Geneva.

Thanks for the tip off! Scott played in Buelach earlier this year and I missed it, which is crazy because that's literally 10mins drive from where I live.

I saw Rita Payes on trombone, vocals and guitar with her mum Elisabeth Roma who is spectacular on guitar, Magali Datzira also a graduate of this band, one of my favourite bass players and singers and a great young drummer at Pizza Express in Soho with three people I played in a band with years ago. We all agreed it was one of the best gigs we have ever been to. I find many of the band inspiring. Some older people seem to get disheartened by talented youngsters. It's the opposite for me.