All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Salutations

Nic

Hi Im Nic, Ive never held a Saxophone in my life. realy need all the help I can get. been looking on the net for a good starter Sax.??? well there you go, totally confused. thought I got it down to a Grassi and a Vito. pure asthetics of course. put my brain in gear and now looking at a Jupiter JAS 565gl . well i dont know ? im left handed, is this a problem :confused:

need help ....please :w00t:

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
Hello and welcome.

Plenty of others better qualified than I will advise re instruments etc. However, I am left-handed, so I will comment on your latter point.

By 'left-handed' do you mean that everything you do has to be oriented to left-handedness? Although I write left-handed etc, I play standard 'right-handed' musical instruments (viols, cello, sax, piano) without any modification whatsoever. With string instruments, it's an advantage as I have dexterity in the fingering hand.

If you seriously think that you need a left-handed instrument, one with all of the keying completely switched around, then I imagine you will be in a world of pain and expense.

I think you should probably see a teacher before you look at buying and have a session checking that out (some teachers will have spare instruments you would be able to use on a short term basis).

Personally, I think you will find holding a standard instrument will be fine and not an issue at all

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Nic.

You will receive loads of advice and probably join the BW Club.

ENJOY!

trimmy

One day i will...
Welcome to the cafe Nic :)

Plenty of more experienced players than me, but Bauhaus Walstein come highly recommended :thumb:

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
If anything the left hand does more work than the right on a sax. So you might be at an advantage. :thumb:

Besides, they don't make left handedsaxes..... Probably because they're unnecessary. >:)

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in North Shropshire
Subscriber
If anything the left hand does more work than the right on a sax. So you might be at an advantage. :thumb:

Besides, they don't make left handedsaxes..... Probably because they're unnecessary. >:)
I'd kind of assumed that - you can get left handed violins etc... for a lot of money!

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Given that both hands do a lot of work on a sax, I suspect it makes little difference whether you're left or right handed. And you'll be learning from scratch, so not having to adapt from something you already do.

(I remember buying my left-handed daughter a left-handed pencil sharpener when she was about 10 - it was hilarious: having always coped with a right handed one by holding the sharpener in her right hand and turning the pencil towards her with her left, she had no idea how to get the left-handed sharpener to work, so quickly gave up with it and went back to the old and trusted method)

I had a Jupiter 500 series sax as my first sax. I picked it up for £150, then part exchanged after a year or so for my Yani A901, and was given £150 in PX, so nothing lost there at all.

It's definitely worth tryoing to find a tutor who might be able to loan you a sax for a few lessons. I was lucky in that my sax came from a friend of a friend who was emigrating and didn't want to take it with them, so had a known history.

The other option is to go for the rent-buy type option - you rent for a year, and then get all the money paid out in rent back when you buy a sax from the same shop.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Hi Nic

Welcome to the cafe, hope you enjoy your sax journey:)

Idon't think I can offer much advice, pretty new to this myself, but you will get lots of good advice here;}

Jx

TomMapfumo

Hi Nic!

Welcome to the Cafe from the Skabertawe Horn Collective. Are you looking for a starter sax because of cost or because you do not want to shell out too much in case you are not sure? There are lots of decent quality cheaper saxes out there - www.preloved.co.uk for example, where you will find quite a few hardly used saxes for around £200, and there are good new saxes available for about £500 or so upwards - John Packer, Bauhaus Walstein, Buffet Crampon, and several others.

If you are sure you want to get into sax and can afford it you are just as well getting a decent sax - probably from £500+ and used options are mostly fine, often recently serviced or hardly played, which makes upgrading later a bit unnecessary.

Do ask away for any guidance - we've all been there at some stage. A teacher would always be a good start - sites such as www.musicteachers.co.uk are really helpful in that regard.
Kind regards
Tom

Sweet Dreamer

Welcome to the cafe Nic.

I'm right-handed and never really thought about handedness, but like Kev already mentioned, both hands are quite busy on the sax and the left hand is kept more busy than the right in any case. So I can't see the handedness being an issue.

In fact, if someone actually built a sax with everything reversed I'd almost be tempted to call that a "right-handed" sax, and the current standard form the 'left-handed' model.

Best wishes in your saxophone journey.

By the way if you are unsure of what sax to buy, maybe rent one first to get an idea of what's important to look for on a sax. Just a thought.

Justin Chune

Hello Nic and welcome aboard. Jupiter saxophones are highly regarded these days. Instrument dealers John Myatt say that the Jupiter 700 series is their best seller in the Jupiter line. You might want to check them out. Anyway, you will have noticed that the Bauhaus Walstein gets the nod around here. Have fun with whatever you buy.

Jim.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi Nic

Welcome to the forum hope you find yourself a nice sax,What kind of budget are you thinking of for your first foray into sax blowing?

All the best ...john

BigMartin

Someone (not me!) should study the solos of left and right-handed jazz sax players. Count the notes in the range G to C# and the notes in the range D to F# (could throw bottom C in there as well). See if the proportions are different for leftys and rightys. There must be a PhD in there somewhere.

Sorry, nearly forgot: Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave McLaughlin

Sesquipedalian
Subscriber
Last night I was practising some scales, including D harmonic minor, over the range of the sax (well, the range I can play, i.e. no altissimo). When it comes to getting from C♯ to B♭ and back down at the bottom end, I wish I was left-handed!

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Sounds like a good way to lose friends in a crowded orchestra pit.
My daughter used to have violin lessons with a boy from her class at school.

She said it was very dangerous for her as he bowed violently always!

I think if she stood one side of him, she was in danger if being elbowed by him, and on the other side she was in danger of having an eye poked out by the end of his bow :)))

tommy

the cheap way is to hire a sax see how you like then take it from there but till then a big wellcome from me and good luck

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Someone (not me!) should study the solos of left and right-handed jazz sax players. Count the notes in the range G to C# and the notes in the range D to F# (could throw bottom C in there as well). See if the proportions are different for leftys and rightys. There must be a PhD in there somewhere.

Sorry, nearly forgot: Welcome to the forum.

Are you taking something for something Martin? JUST WONDERED...JOHN :w00t::D

allansto

Hi Nic welcome to the caf
I wont say too much at this point.
Only that I dont think being left handed a problem
Good luck with buying your first sax
It all comes down to budget really but best if you stay with a good brand.
Plenty of good recommendations above.
:welldone

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom