All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

salmon glazing frustrations....

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Here’s a culinary question rather than a recipe. Anyone any idea how to turn a marinade into a glaze?
I’ve taken to marinating salmon steaks in a mixture of honey, soy sauce, shredded ginger & five spice prior to grilling. Very tasty indeed but I’m wondering of its feasible to get this mix to coat them better- glaze style. I’d initially thought the honey would give it a bit of ‘grip’ but it doesn’t seem to…..
Any experience glaziers in our ranks?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Try thickening it first, with more honey or reducing it in a saucepan. YOu could use a honey ham glaze recipe to get the proportions more towards a glaze.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Hm.. boiling the mix down, that's got to be worth a try. Thanks...

TomMapfumo

As Kev said, reducing, until it is thick enough. Better than thickening, most of the time. If reduced too much just whisk in a little butter before adding glaze.

Jazzaferri

rather than a fast boil, i might suggest a longer gentle simmer at about 160 - 170 degrees. Less impactive on the flavours if you have time.

With that large an amount of liquid it can take a long time to boil down and some of the gingery aroma will be lost in a long boil.

TomMapfumo

Often it is possible to sieve the sauce/glaze/marinade and just reduce the liquid part before adding the other ingredients back in; otherwise a slow reduction should work well as Jazzaferri suggests.

Jazzaferri

Or one could cook in some chia seeds lol. Good suggestion Tom, to take out the tasty bits and add em in for a few minutes at the end. Mmmmmm, now i am getting hungry. Cooking dinner for three ladies tomorrow night.....what to make ..... Hmmm.....what to make

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Or one could cook in some chia seeds lol. Good suggestion Tom, to take out the tasty bits and add em in for a few minutes at the end. Mmmmmm, now i am getting hungry. Cooking dinner for three ladies tomorrow night.....what to make ..... Hmmm.....what to make
Oysters...

Saxholder Pro

Members online

No members online now.
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom