All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
PPT Mouthpieces

Beginner Sax Sakkusu

Colin the Bear

While googling something else the new beginner range from sax.co.uk came up. The midnight black. Black body and keys seemed particularly appealing to me. Has any one tried one lately?

jbtsax

Café Supporter
The price with tax is equal to about $550 US. That puts it somewhere in between the ultra cheap models and the quality student saxes selling for just over $1000. I would be interested to read a Stephen Howard review sometime in the near future. hint, hint ;)

Vote:
Upvote 0

Colin the Bear

As far as I know it's their own brand. The brass lacquer one is £320. I've never seen an all black horn. Black horns usually have brass or occasionaly nickel keywork. The colour shouldn't be a factor but an all black horn really floats my boat.

Vote:
Upvote 0

jbtsax

Café Supporter
You might also like the Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series Black Nickel. It costs a lot more than the Sakkusu.

1612994698367.png

Vote:
Upvote 0

saxyjt

Saxus Circus Maximus
Café Supporter
Dark matters... All black! Kiwi territory? :w00t: :oops: :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'm off to Auckland again soon. Can't wait.*

* Not for real. Just by proxy & virtually to follow the Prada Cup's final starting on the 13th...

Vote:
Upvote 0

Stephen Howard

The price with tax is equal to about $550 US. That puts it somewhere in between the ultra cheap models and the quality student saxes selling for just over $1000. I would be interested to read a Stephen Howard review sometime in the near future. hint, hint ;)
You mean like this one?

Vote:
Upvote 0

mpjbiker

Can't comment on recent Sakkusu horns, but I got a black touch piece alto for my stepson a few years ago, and it's been great. Despite the abuse inflicted by a teenager, it's needed no attention at all, plays fine and in tune. I paid peanuts for it, but even new they're not expensive.

Vote:
Upvote 0

DavidUK

Café Supporter
Can't comment on recent Sakkusu horns, but I got a black touch piece alto for my stepson a few years ago, and it's been great. Despite the abuse inflicted by a teenager, it's needed no attention at all, plays fine and in tune. I paid peanuts for it, but even new they're not expensive.
Just like the one on the Yardsale here?

That was the older Taiwan model, changed to the not-so-good current Chinese model with the non-black touch pieces.

;)

Vote:
Upvote 0

jbtsax

Café Supporter
You mean like this one?

Thank you for that excellent review as always. My favorite comment was:
There are pros and cons to using such soft pads - mostly cons, it has to be said - but they're certainly useful if the toneholes are rather less than level. The(y) don't so much seal the tonehole as smother them with a pillow.
I'm going to use that the next time I get into an argument with someone about using soft pads---with attribution, of course. :)

Vote:
Upvote 0

Dave E

I tried a Sakkusu tenor at sax.co.uk in ~ 2018. It was a nice sax, but I had my head turned by a part exchange deal for a Hanson LX in the end (black with nickel keys).

Vote:
Upvote 0

Stephen Howard

Especially when the "typo" is still a correctly spelled word. That happens to me a lot.

I put it down to my two-fingered typing. Alas, I just can't get the hang of proper touch-typing, so all those many millions of words are quite literally hammered out with two fingers and the occasional thumb.
And sometimes I even have gloves on,

Anyway, it gives people something to do - and I'm genuinely hugely appreciative of their input.

Vote:
Upvote 0

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom