All fees from subs and sales are supporting musicians suffering hardship due to COVID-19

Saxophones Safe Sax

OP
S

Saxodent

image.jpeg

£5 for 100 70% Isopropyl Alcohol Disposable Surgical Wipes
Keep a few in your case .

Wonko

Please, don't panic!
As a person who studies microbiology, it always disturbs me that people tend to classify all bacteria as "unhealthy". The world around us is full of bacteria, most of them are harmless, a few can cause diseases in individuals that have a weak immune system.
These days we have learned that pathogenic bacteria thrive faster on sterilised surfaces than on "dirty surfaces". On a dirty surface the pathogenic bacteria have to compete with the healthy bacteria for their space.
So, the number of bacteria on some surface is not a good indicator of health risks.
Bacteria are natural, they are all around us, don't be afraid of them.

OP
S

Saxodent

But you also tend not to lick those surfaces or stick them in your mouth and deliberately inhale either .

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
A lot of people's health problems are caused by the fear of bacteria and the obsession with cleanliness, a lot of which is the companies pushing their products.
If you don't start 'getting infected' with bacteria from birth you won't have the immunity and will become more liable to illness.

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber
Something I heard a while ago, you have about the same number of bacteria in your body as human cells.

Wonko

Something I heard a while ago, you have about the same number of bacteria in your body as human cells.
Could very well be right.
And because bacteria are so much smaller than human cells, it could also be a multitude ......

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
Come on, just rince the mouthpiece(s) once in a while. If your own hygiene is good, there is no reason for your equipment to be harmful.

OP
S

Saxodent

Well I know a famous Sax Player hospitalised for two weeks in ICU because he didn't clean his Sax and Mouthpiece and the BMJ showed increased rates of Chest Infection amongst Wind Players compared to the general population.

Wonko

Well I know a famous Sax Player hospitalised for two weeks in ICU because he didn't clean his Sax and Mouthpiece and the BMJ showed increased rates of Chest Infection amongst Wind Players compared to the general population.
Cleaning mouthpiece and reed (just rinsing with water an drying with a cloth) is standard practice for me. And that should be enough.

MandyH

Sax-Mad fiend!
Subscriber
Other than bog-standard drying with a pull through, and a very rare rinse with some warm water, I don't "clean" my saxes or mouthpieces. I dry my reed on my shirt tails before putting it in its case.
I realise everyone's natural immune system is different, but I've never been obsessive about cleaning anything (current situation excepted).

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Top Bottom