Sade "Smooth Operator" sax

OP
John Laughter

John Laughter

Thanks Der. I just like his overall tone. Of course it helps to be playing in a building that gives a lot of natural reverb but there is a certain color to his tone.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Sorry John

Don't care what kind of sax, it's just a joy to listen to such a smooooth piece, and you don't need an excuse to post a link like this on the cafe:)))john

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
John Laughter

John Laughter

Hey gladsaxisme. I totally agree with you and thanks. For some reason his tone just caught me more than a lot of MKVI's that I have heard through the years. And the band is excellent!

We use to play that song a lot but got away from it since no one danced to it. More of a "listening while having a good drink" type of song. :) Still like it.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
I love Sade's stuff, was stunned by it when it first came out. But most of it seems to be the smoochy, end of the evening stuff... 'nuff said. Would love to hear it played more.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hey gladsaxisme. I totally agree with you and thanks. For some reason his tone just caught me more than a lot of MKVI's that I have heard through the years. And the band is excellent!

We use to play that song a lot but got away from it since no one danced to it. More of a "listening while having a good drink" type of song. :) Still like it.
Your absolutely right that sax is something special I've got to click the link and bookmark it straight away for future enjoyment...john off for smooth swoon

ps I'm amazed you say people didn't dance to it where you are,you couldn't keep me in my seat,ever tried typing whilst dancing:welldone

johnboy

Hi guys,
Deffinately not a BA crook. It sounds so good, I'm tempted to chase up my old buddy, who has a1957 Mk6. (last I heard, not played since 1960!) and make him an offer he can't refuse. My wife has been on at me to do this for months. She has even been on the internet and found his new address. So I'm coming back next week on a mission.

johnboy.

half diminished

Just started playing this tune. It's pretty simple in many ways but getting those minor details and that syncopated rhythm spot on is a little challenging. Good fun though.

dooce

Did you work out the score yourself or is it published? I'd love to add this to our set list....
I don't have Smooth Operator, but I do have Your Love is King knocking around somewhere - there's a nice little sax riff at the start which I presume was by the same player.

half diminished

Did you work out the score yourself or is it published? I'd love to add this to our set list....
I got the dots, I'll pm you the source but to be honest I wan after a couple of others and bought this as well. It's simple enough starting on E and in G major. Cost me a couple of quid. Great to play.

Top Bottom