All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Running With Scissors

Jamesmac

This is a Chris Knowles composition. Chris wrote it as I had come up with the concept, while in bed actually, of using 12 tone rows (serialism) not as singular tones, but using them as chorded rows.
Mr. Knowles put together exactly what I wanted.

Running With Scissors
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1289603

Wow. So pleased your posting again Mike. Really enjoy such wonderful Tenor playing. I can almost hear your brain computing, just before you play those dazzling phrases.
Jim

Mike

Wow. So pleased your posting again Mike. Really enjoy such wonderful Tenor playing. I can almost hear your brain computing, just before you play those dazzling phrases.
Jim

Why thanks Jim.
Computing? That's merely a result of those rickety rackety keys from my
'on life support' tenor....lol

Mike

i like the whole frantic feel to it, sprints out from the word go, nice, my kinda thing.

Thanks Ian....I prefer to go against the grain in trying to build a solo. In all honesty, I wouldn't know how to build a carefully thought out solo if I tried. Nor would I want to, actually.

Brendan

Locality
Vancouver
Wow - this is fantastic !
Can you explain the chord progression again ? Are you moving chromatically ?

Mike

Wow - this is fantastic !
Can you explain the chord progression again ? Are you moving chromatically ?

Thanks so much Brendan!
Chris, may still have the chord chart for it, I don't. In fact I don't believe I ever saw it myself.
I had this idea while I was in bed getting ready to fall asleep. I was thinking of other ways to open up the work harmonically that would allow a greater freedom for improvisation. My thinking was that since the chords are 'individual' they could mesh in a particular way harmonically and create a collage of sound rather than distinct harmonic points that we might be bound to.

So the next morning I spoke with Chris and I suggested using tone (chorded) rows instead of just tone rows (singular). Band In a Box won't respond to bass singular 12 tones so I had to think around that because the bass will always respond to the chords .
They aren't chromatic and serialism is seldom used in that way, although it can be, naturally. The usual format has the intervals spaced with jumps to fourths, second's, seventh's, etc. Or any possible sequence. You could additionally use inversions and retrogrades, etc. Variations on the original 12 tones.

I'm not 100% sure how Chris decided to write it so I couldn't personally tell you. Of course you could ask Chris if he has the chart. It's a daunting chart because each beat is a new chord so we have 4 chords per measure and the 12 tone row won't end until the end of the third measure which would equal 12.
Then it becgins again and so forth.

Thank you again Brendan!

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom