All profit supporting   special needs music

Misc, Other Ronnie Scott

MikeMorrell

Netherlands
Café Supporter
Locality
Breda
When I lived in London more than 40 years ago, Ronnie Scott's club was (and perhaps still is) the place to be to hear good jazz. I couldn't afford to go there often but I heard a couple of people there including the great jazz guitarist Joe Pass. Ronnie introduced the guests himself back then. It's only today that I discovered that he was a tenor sax player. This video shows him playing in a band that includes Oscar Peterson (Piano) and Joe Pass (guitar). Solo Sax from about 4:30.

Was he one of the great sax players? I don't think so. But I found it interesting that that the founder of 'Ronnie Scott's club' who died in 1996 was originally a sax player who mixed with the best musicians of his time.

Mike

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
I saw him in Manchester in the 70s. So drunk he could hardly stand or play. Really disappointing.

BUMNOTE

Locality
Wolverhampton West Midlands
Never saw Ronnie scott,but guess him founding the club would bring him into contact with great players.Went to his club last year for my birthday,really had a fantastic night,food was excellent,band was superb.Think at one time he had a club in Birmingham on broad street.Bumnote.

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
Was he one of the great sax players? I don't think so.

Not by global standards, but for ten years he was possibly Britain's best tenor player and for thirty years very good.

He had an interesting and difficult life - last year I read the biography written by his estranged daughter. Very heartfelt and lots of difficulties, right up to Ronnie committing suicide.

Rhys

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Locality
Ilkley West Yorkshire
He may not be one of the greats but I really like his playing with Tubby Hayes in The Jazz Couriers. I wish I was half as good.

Chris

Well Known
Café Supporter
Locality
Manchester,England
@Saxlicker Trev the video you posted was my default video for anything 'Ronnie Scott'

Anyone interested can check-out my Youtube channel and there a few videos that I put together of some of my fav

'Ronnie Scott' ballads

Chris..

Saxlicker

Locality
Breakfast room since '06 UK
So I think I'll sit down with a beer and trawl through that lot tonight :thumb:

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
I still have Ronnie Scott's on my list to visit!

Jx

Saxlicker

Locality
Breakfast room since '06 UK
You can catch this man at Ronnies too!
So a few years ago the urge to grab myself a TH & C became too much.
I found one and during the buying decision process I noticed the case had a sticker on it. Something about mermaid records southampton and somebody by the Name of ummm...
Tommy? thom...P...P Oh yes I remember now Pete Thomas.
I messaged Pete and he confirmed he was a former owner by the description.
Well I bought it but a few years later, I knew I'm much more Selmer than that which put it a way down the pecking order so I sold it on.
A guy turns up to test it and I'm still gob smacked by what I heard that day. He bought it.

I repeat.
You can catch this man at Ronnies
Acoustic Jazz Lounge - Doors open 6pm / £8 on the door - Ronnie Scott's

Dibbs

I saw him in Manchester in the 70s. So drunk he could hardly stand or play. Really disappointing.

A band I was in played support to his trio in Kendal in the seventies. We shared a band room. He walked in looking pretty rough, slumped in a chair and said "Anyone got any pot?"

Dibbs

Never saw Ronnie scott,but guess him founding the club would bring him into contact with great players.Went to his club last year for my birthday,really had a fantastic night,food was excellent,band was superb.Think at one time he had a club in Birmingham on broad street.Bumnote.

The food must have improved. It never used to be anything special. Ronnie used to say "The food must be good. A thousand flies can't be wrong."

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
A band I was in played support to his trio in Kendal in the seventies. We shared a band room. He walked in looking pretty rough, slumped in a chair and said "Anyone got any pot?"
So it wasn't a once-off...

Kaylo

Locality
Hove
I think many of these posts don't do Ronnie credit. I say him many times in 70s/80s and most of the time he was easily the best British tenor. Bobby Wellins closest but didn't swing like Ronnie. He also moved with the times and became very Coltrane influenced. Serious Gold is a very good example of that era if you can find it it. With great guitarist Lousis Stewart.

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom