All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Rock 'n Roll Saxophone

Koen88

Sax Drinker / Beer player
Locality
Netherlands
Hi all,

I've been asked by a local band to come and record something with them for their new CD (with their own music..)

you've probably guessed it by the title... A Rock & Roll track in G, I'll be getting the backing track in a few days..

now for my question, what are some good examples to listen to for some real rock & roll sax? and what is it what makes it Rock & Roll?

regards

Koen

(for countering the cultural bias and expanding the level of feedback i'll be posting this on an other forum too)

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
It'll have to be tenor or maybe baritone. You become part of the rhythm section and are there for tonal colouring of the over all sound. Harking back to big band sound but simpler and more stripped. Heavy on the back beat at a bouncy dance tempo. Any solos should be more rhythmic and tonaly expressive than clever musically. Repeated short phrases seem to work. It's just dance blues really

http://youtu.be/F5fsqYctXgM

http://youtu.be/QFL047fmsgg

http://youtu.be/9xAi80ShG0I

It appears waving it about is compulsary lol

In the 80's retrospective the invisible saxophone section was an option

http://youtu.be/TIBnYMltl0U

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Locality
brighton by the sea
Try listening to Sam Butera... either backing Louis Prima or his solo stuff. For me he's the king of this type of playing

Kingsleyhk

Locality
Nr. Bandung, Indonesia
Agree about Sam Butera but also suggest King Curtis, Bobby Keys (Rolling Stones), our very own Pete Thomas, the Fats Domino sax players, Michael Antunes in Eddie and the Cruisers/John Cafferty, Bob Seger's guy.

Bear in mind that "Rock n Roll" is a pretty broad church. Any examples of the sorts of things your guys play?

Last edited by a moderator:

old git

Tremendous Bore
Locality
The Palm Tree strewn Wandle Surf Beach under the o
Jules mentioned the Sainted Sam.

Otherwise, lay on your back emulating Rudy in Rudy's Rock but make sure there is a video issued.

Kingsleyhk

Locality
Nr. Bandung, Indonesia
Forgot about Rudy - and if you want to lie down on the job, Big Jay McNeeley springs to mind!

Pete Thomas

Commercial Supporter
Locality
St. Mary's
On our very own pages:

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/blues-saxophone.html

I studied Rudi Pompili a lot (had to do this before joining Bill haley's band back in the old days). While in that band supporting fats Domino, I used to stand by the side of the stage watching and working out what lee allen was doing, until one day he noticed me there and called me up on stage.

Both these guys ae the epitome of rock and roll saxophone to me, one of the most important aspects of the style being able to say with one note ore than it takes most players to say with thousand.

Koen88

Locality
Netherlands
It's just dance blues really

haha I might borrow that quote from you ;-)

but thank you all for the suggestions, I've been listening to a few of `m withough knowing: Louis Jordan has been on my MP3 player for about 5 years and spotify even mails me when there's a new King Curtis track available..

if you think of anything more please let me know!

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Locality
brighton by the sea
one of the most important aspects of the style being able to say with one note ore than it takes most players to say with thousand.
Sounds wonderfully Zen when you put it that way!

Koen88

Locality
Netherlands
Agree about Sam Butera but also suggest King Curtis, Bobby Keys (Rolling Stones), our very own Pete Thomas, the Fats Domino sax players, Michael Antunes in Eddie and the Cruisers/John Cafferty, Bob Seger's guy.

Bear in mind that "Rock n Roll" is a pretty broad church. Any examples of the sorts of things your guys play?

sorry to leave this thread hanging a bit... I hadnt heard from the other guy for a while either he was on vacation in Las Vegas.. But I mailed him and asked what his influences are an he said: Stray Cats / Brian Setzer Orchestra.

I really like brian Setzer but its hard for me to get a focus on what type of sax playing goes with that style.. do you guys have some ideas what is related to these but with more (tenor) sax?

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Never heard of setzer but a quick google reveals it to be very derivative of lots of stuff already posted. More boogey woogey than rock and roll. Have a look at king pleasure and the biscuit boys.

Taz

Busking Oracle
Locality
Rugby UK
The Brian Setzer Orchestra, doing Jump jive 'n wail!
Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Fraser Jarvis

Saw Brian Setzer live at the Brixton Academy, bloody incredible, he sure knows his way around a guitar!

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Couldn't get to that one, but there's some really good stuff of him with Jeff Beck on youtube. Try Shake Rattle and roll (also has Blue Lou Marini on baritone...)

Staff online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom