support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Rock n roll baby!

Ang

Have been having lots of fun playing along with recordings. Either transcribing myself (if very easy) or using saxsolos.com. Just wondering if there is anything similar for fifties stuff. Trying to do Gene Vincent Say MamA. Got some but the rest is a bit tricky

Good question. Curtis probably has the most extensive listing with saxsolos.com. Your question about sax solo scores for the 50's era has come up often on various message boards without any answers that I have seen. Most players (like you) are playing them by ear, or maybe they can find a score to a song like "Tequila" or "Shotgun" which are more common. I have not seen any books over the years that have the "solos" for the 50's or 60's Rock & Roll or R&B hits. Maybe other members know of person or a book that has a lot of the solos?

From a woodshed honker. When I started to play sax I used to record songs on a Tandberg reel-to-reel at normal speed and the I played along at half of the normal speed (one octave lower). I played along with John Fogerty or Bobby Keys, Many years ago ( nearly 50 years !!!!). I use to learn solos and saxparts by ear. If the solos are written down I use them to learn the solos. It's faster than learning by ear. A guy in USA is helps me with transcribing horn parts and if there is a saxsolo (90 % of them have a saxsolo;)) it's often written out. I learn the solo and then I put away the charts. When I lean a solo I don't write notes. Last summer I payed the song "The Wander" by Dion at a BBQ party with a band. They wanted to play some songs with sax (Chuck Berry, Dion, Rollings Stones, Bruce Springsteen ...). I learned Buddy Lucas tenorsolo and fillings as he played it. It's an easy one. Key of D, a 12-bar blues with a bridge and rock beat, tenorsolo over 12 bar. I like to write down what I'm going to play. I do changes as well. This is my very own charts/notes. I'm just playing for fun and I don't get paid. Most of the time I'm just thriving with the saxophone in the woodshed.
rocksaxlåtar.JPG

And an excellent job Curtis does as well...I have purchased stuff off him for years...

Greg S.

Me too.

And I have commissioned Curtis to transcribe several solos of my choice. That's significantly more expensive than buying one he has already done, but very good to have some of my favourite solos transcribed to such a high standard.

And yes - I do transcribe solos myself, but that takes me a long, long time and I tend to stick to more straightforward stuff in terms of rhythms.

Rhys