supportTutorialsCDsPPT mouthpieces

Rob from the River Thames

rob4

Hi there, after looking around this site I've registered because to my astonishment I havent seen one bad-mouthed post so far! unlike many other forums out there. musicians are a lovelly bunch aren't they?!!

I'm a clarinet player again after taking a short break of 30yrs during which time I became a pro headbanger and very amateur pub blues bassist.

Am loving the clarinet, so far the neighbours havne't complained, and almost the best thing is all the new music it's introducing me to.

I know it's cafeSAX but surely technical qu's and many other issues are the same right?

Look forward to many ejit questions from yours truly....

rudjarl

Senile Member. Scandinavian Ambassadour of CaSLM
Hi Rob, welcome to the cafe :)
Sure, you'll find it is easy to ask questions up here. And, no doubt, you'll find many answers. Just don't forget, you'll also find a lot of ehhh.... characters, and perhaps a few answers you didn't want to find.:)))

Taz

Busking Oracle
Evening Rob, and welcome to the cafe. Bad mouth? Nope, that's not a term I've ever heard in here :w00t:
I don't think it matters that you don't play the sax. It's an addictive instrument so it's only a matter of time......resist.... you must resist..... the urge..... to.... go to....21 Denmark Street, London, WC2H 8NA

Other sax shops are available! :)))

Sunray

The Thames [The Mud hole] lmao

Ello Rob ... How you doing mate ... ;}

Welcome to this fine place, from a former Souf Londoner ... Clapham, Tooting, Morden and Wimbledon for most of my life ...

Moved up to Norfolk to get away from the hustle n bustle ...

I am just a learner here, got my first Sax [Alto] a few weeks ago - but already there is a new addition [its big bruvver] on its way ... :w00t:

Have fun here mate ...

Cheers ...

TomMapfumo

Good Morning the Robster!

Welcome to the Cafe from the Skabertawe 3 button Soprano Sax Collective (SKABS). So why Clarinet we all ask, and what sort of stuff are you playing/learning on it? Reality is that not everyone plays sax on here all the time, but it is THE to forum for fun, friendliness, and a real contrast, IMO, to some of our US equivalents, which can be quite rude, sarcastic and prejudicial/opinionated at times.

I look forward to your contibutions, questions and views, and hope that you get what you need/want from the Cafe. I assume its one of the "ordinary" clarinets that you play - I particularly like Gilad Atzmon and Louis Sclavis on clarinet and really enjoy Bass Clarinet, nut mainly in a Jazz context.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Little My

Practice makes better.
Hello and welcome! I played clarinet and bass clarinet at school, but am now truly fallen. Enjoy your playing and reading on here, 'tis a great place.

OP
R

rob4

thanks for the comments, I'll check out those two clarinettists Tom, at the moment I'm slowly exploring the most obvious ones, Buddy de F ect, I love listening to them but it's a little deprssing if you try to play the same notes! even the slow bits!

As for resisting Denmark Street, I've already been warned about that from my teacher, who's mainly a sax man, but I did ring them up and they gave me good advice on a shop to try - Woodwind and Reed in Cambridge. They were most helpful on getting a new mouthpiece. My crystal Vandoren is chipped.
I'll post on that elsewhere!

And no I@m not related to Dickens but I do have 'great expectations' for my clarinet playing!!!! :))) (sorry)

TomMapfumo

Also do you use the "Jazz Method for Clarinet" book by john O'Neill? - I have used both the one for Soprano/Tenor Sax and Trumpet - really good stuff!

My only involvement with clarinet was selling my daughter's Yamaha YAS 25II, after her aborted attempt at learning (lasted 14 weeks!)!

Kind regards

Little My

Practice makes better.
As for resisting Denmark Street, I've already been warned about that from my teacher, who's mainly a sax man, but I did ring them up and they gave me good advice on a shop to try - Woodwind and Reed in Cambridge. They were most helpful on getting a new mouthpiece. My crystal Vandoren is chipped.
I'll post on that elsewhere!
I agree with that recommendation completely, it used to be my local shop and I still buy my reeds from them. And if (when...) you do get curious about the shiny side they have great saxes too, though I appreciate that Denmark St is closer to you.

OP
R

rob4

Are you any good at that Jimmy Giuffre solo
er, give me a few years....!!

I play a Buffet Crampon Evette which I've had since I was 10! I suppose the time may come when an update becomes necessary but for the moment I'm staying loyal.

I failed the UK Grade Five when i was at school so am consdiering having a go at the grades again, it's always been a bit of a dream to be 'grade eight' - although I know it's not the be-all. Have got the music and it's good sight-reading practise at least.

Mainly though, I'm beginning to get to grips with improv by playing the blues - as I learn more about this jazz business I hope to go more in that direction which seems more interesting, but I aim to take it all slowly!

Meanwhile, much listening is happening....

Thanks agian for all the comments, and for the tip on the book Tom, there are so many out there it's good to have a recommendation.
Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

TomMapfumo

You may already know this, but you can do Jazz Clarinet Grades with ABRSM, Trinity/Guildhall, and London College of Music (Thames Valley University).

BTW Mr. Giuffre recommends the Jazz Method book!
Kind regards

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
Hi rob4

Welcome to the cafe from up north in sunny Manchester,we'll have to try to convince you to add sax to your repertoire.Who knows you may even get hooked...john

thehunt

Hi Rob, big welcome from sunny Chiggers. You will find everyone here really helpful and as time goes by we even meet one another occasionally, through various events etc.
I love the clarinet but busy learning learning learning on my tenor. Look forward to some posts
Phil :w00t:

Young Col

Welcome Rob and welcome to some others who I have missed of late.
Rob, as Phil says it's great meeting up with some of the caf people now and again. OG usually invites people to join the Croydon and Sarf Lunnn Massive, but he also omits to say that you have to pay him a large amount in a cheque made out to the OG Zimmer Fund.
Enjoy it here. You'll find there's sense but not always sensibility.
YC

OP
R

rob4

I’d be on for meeting up, cheers.

And I\m clearly going to have a job not trying the sax at some point!
I know you can hire them from Howarths for a month – quite a tempting idea.

But can someone tell me, which is the sax that is most like the clarinet in terms of fingering?

Top Bottom