Tutorials

Percussion RIP Bill Kyle

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
My dear friend Bill Kyle suddenly passed away yesterday.

A great drummer, he is the man that made the Jazz Bar in Edinburgh one of the best music venues in the world.
History | The Jazz Bar
He gave much to the music world, and will be sorely missed.

RIP, Bill.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
I didn't know his story before following the link, he did much at personal cost for jazz. The world needs more like him and the anonymous investors to follow their dreams.

My sympathies again for your loss..

Jx

stalkpiece

A great friend and supporter of mine too. I've been playing in the Jazz Bar for about 8 years now, hundreds of gigs, and from the very start (when I had a LOT to learn) Bill was nothing but supportive. This same story is being echoed by dozens of my colleagues in Edinburgh right now.

Absolutely we need more like him. Music in Scotland would not be what it is without his passion and efforts.

D

Deleted member 5000

Very sad to read this news.

I didnt know him but I lived in Edinburgh for a few years in the late 80s, and used to see him and his band regularly.

I could barely play a note then, so never plucked up the courage to sit in. However just seeing jazz of that quality was hugely inspiring to me.
I did sit in with his band once, about 5 years later, in Dundee. I still wasnt ready, but he/they made me very welcome.

RIP Bill Kyle.

Top Bottom