Tutorials

Rinksters First Recording

The Rinkster

Hi guys.

first this is an experiment to see if i can get an mp3 file linked to this thread so you guys can hear it.

also this is the first proper crack at creating a backing track to jam too. ive been using magic music maker studio and have tried to get a chord pattern to follow. Em7, Am7 and Bm7 concert pitch. the drum and piano synths in the programme are great to use, you can put any note anywhere and the drumkit breaks down to 8ths.

just for fun, and to see if it works i plugged my mike in.

this was my first take, difficult cos my headphone lead is about 2ft long and not the best in the world and im not happy cos i missed the Em7 to Bm7 chord change every time, grrrr.

will have to re-record soon cos after hearing it myself theres much to change.

any comments, critism (constructive please) and opinions would be appreciated.

thanks for you time guys and i hope this works.........

Rinkster

johnie saxa first recording.MP3

Last edited by a moderator:

Taz

Busking Oracle
You've definitely got a great tone going on there and you certainly know your way around that sax of yours, that much I can say. On the critique side of things, and this is only my opinion (which ain't worth much) I didn't like the tune, I couldn't see where it was going and the ending, well, it just sort of stopped. I thought the backing track appeared to be well put together, just not well thought out if you know what I mean (and I hope you do) I thought that the sax was too random and occasionally sounded out of tune? That could have been down to poor planning? I don't know. I know that this sounds quite negative, I have a habit of doing that :blush: and I'm sorry. One thing I can say positively, your recording technique is very good and you've mixed the track well, these are both tricky areas, so well done for that. Please don't take my comments to heart, I know that others will be more positive. Remember, its just my opinion. ;}

OP
T

The Rinkster

hey Taz

thanks for your reply and taking the time to listen.

you had a lot to say and i agree with it all! ;}

thanks for the comment on my tone and playing, i appreciate that. tis important.
you couldnt see where it was going or ending, yeah i kinda know what you mean. i tried to get an intro in Em7 Am7 for 4 bars same as verse then into Bm7 and Am7 3 lots of 2 bars each as the chorus. beat drops away and then 2 bars of Em7, 1 of Am7 and 1 bar back to Em7 repeated 4 times then into the intro again as a kinda chorus. repeated i think 4 times over with extended chorus to finish. any suggestions on chord progressions in relation to this and number of bars of each would be cool.
the sax is very random too isnt it. i can hear how it will eventully go i think, but this is the first complete take and i wanted to try the phrasing and hear how the chord changes sounded more than anything (thats why im annoyed i missed those changes and what improv is all about lol) so this is probably another reason why we cant see where the tunes goes, but i just had fun jammin and it was the first real take after just blowin a few notes to see if i could actually record, i ran outa time and missed my Em7 to Bm7 changes every time too.
i blame goin outa tune on my 2ft headphone lead, all crunched up sittin down, also they are not proper cans (old, cheap walkman type) so even with them on and cranked up i could only just hear the backing. sax is loud. lol
thanks for the comment on my recording technique too, im using a little mike thats designed for speach, clipped to your tie and im in the little box room. i guess i just tried to make sure everything was heard with the sax front center with a little reverb and echo and get my peak meter kissing the green.

all in all this, after lots of practice to it and many more recordings is hopefully goin to serve as backing for the busking i do in birmingham city center, its why i made it.

Last edited by a moderator:

losaavedra

Same general comment as Clive, sax 'more to the front' and maybe a bit less reverb on it too, but nice playing nonetheless (better than I can do currently!). I'd been wondering where to park some of my own tryouts and experimental bits that I'd like to have critiqued (less formally than Soundclick provides) and your's has encouraged me to register on same site. Thanks buddy!

OP
T

The Rinkster

What a haunting tune, and very well played I thought. For personal taste I would prefer the backing a bit lighter it seemed to overpower the sax .
rgds.
Clive
Same general comment as Clive, sax 'more to the front' and maybe a bit less reverb on it too, but nice playing nonetheless (better than I can do currently!). I'd been wondering where to park some of my own tryouts and experimental bits that I'd like to have critiqued (less formally than Soundclick provides) and your's has encouraged me to register on same site. Thanks buddy!
Ive listened to it again and yes the sax is a little low, probabaly down to my own insurcurities but easily sorted.
thanks lossaavedra, nice playing. very encouraging. and glad to be of service with the upload site although its not very user friendly, it is free!

and yes it is hauntin isnt it. ive just finished a relationship of three years about 2mnths ago. she wasnt the nicest of women to say the least and this i guess was an outlet, some therapy and a recording of how i am feeling. thats probably the main reason why ive stuck with the very first full take.

Top Bottom