support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Rigotti reeds strength question

Jimmymack

Locality
London
This is a bit of a narrowly focused question but I’m thinking of trying a mini increase on strength on the Rigotti jazz reeds I currently play. It gets a bit silly but can anybody comment on the differences in both hardness and sound quality between, in my case, a 2.5 medium and a 2.5 hard, I suppose the same effects will pertain to other strengths. I love the ones I play but want a bit more colour on the top notes and possibly a bit more volume but that’s less important. I stuck with what I have because my mpc is very strength picky and it took me a long time to find something in the right area. I know I can just shell out for a box but I expect you can work out why I’m reluctant. I’ve looked through old reeds to see if I have any from old mixed boxes but no luck.

Sorry if this is a pathetic question but any responses welcome even scornful ones.

rhysonsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Surrey, UK
This is a bit of a narrowly focused question but I’m thinking of trying a mini increase on strength on the Rigotti jazz reeds I currently play. It gets a bit silly but can anybody comment on the differences in both hardness and sound quality between, in my case, a 2.5 medium and a 2.5 hard, I suppose the same effects will pertain to other strengths. I love the ones I play but want a bit more colour on the top notes and possibly a bit more volume but that’s less important. I stuck with what I have because my mpc is very strength picky and it took me a long time to find something in the right area. I know I can just shell out for a box but I expect you can work out why I’m reluctant. I’ve looked through old reeds to see if I have any from old mixed boxes but no luck.

Sorry if this is a pathetic question but any responses welcome even scornful ones.

I really like Rigotti Gold and the fact that they come in fine increments of strength. But I really don't think I would notice any difference in sound quality between a 2.5M and a 2.5H. At least not one that is more significant that the sound difference between different reeds of exactly the same strength.

And whilst I have played mouthpieces that are "reed picky" I have never encountered one that is picky about strength.

Rhys

just saxes

Commercial Supporter
Locality
Santa Cruz, CA
IMO you just have to play through 10 or 15 in each strength (2.5M vs 2.5H, for example) to figure out which rung gets you the most good reeds (good being just what feels and works best for you).

In ZZ and Alexander (I'm commenting on tenor, in my mind, as that's what I'm most princess-and-the-pea about), I can get good reeds for my set-up from 2.0 and 2.5. In Rigotti Blue (I have more experience with blue, just because that's what I've had the most of) I'm usually 2.0, S/M/Strong, probably usually M). I'm don't pay that much attention to which I'm on other than to the markings I make on them with sharpies after playing through a batch.

You are more likely to be able to adapt readily across two rungs with Rigotti, IMO, because when you are slightly too soft your highs will still voice well without closing off, and when the reed is a bit hard your low notes will play better and subtone better than with other reeds.

An intuitive recommendation might be to start 1 gradation softer than your norm for Vandoren or Alexander, and adjust from there. Probably if harder #2.0s in Vandoren packs are about right for you, start with medium Rigotti blue (if buying blue).

Top Bottom