support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Rico reeds

RMorgan

Locality
Brazil
Hey guys,

Well, my teacher, which is a French guy, always told me that Rico reeds are bad and not even close to the quality of the Vandoren ones. He always say that Rico reeds are made from leftovers from the Vandoren production, that they don´t last as much as the Vandorems, etc...

Anyway, I was buying some reeds yesterday...The Rico Royal were pretty cheap...I said why not?

So, when I got home, I was testing my new reeds...

Vandoren Java green...Nice.

Vandoren Java red...Better.

Rico Royals...WOW!!! :w00t:

I´m not joking guys. These cheap Rico reeds made my newly restored Harwood Professional alto (1923 Buescher stencil) sing! What a rich tone!

These reeds are perfect for my sax and mouthpiece ( a handmade Brazilian mouthpiece).

So, I went to my sax class today and started playing with my new reed, without telling my teacher anything. Guys, you should see his face; He was astonished with my tone!

When I told him I was using a Rico reed, he almost had a heart attack! Hahahaha!

So, what do you think of these Rico reeds?

Cheers,

Raf.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mostly use Ricos. If you like the Royals, try the Jazz Select (RJS).... But - whatever works for you on your kit is what counts.

But saying Ricos are bad is like saying Selmer/Yanagisawa/.... are rubbish, just cos you play a different make. Guess this guy's still into debating whether Ford is better than GM/Chrysler etc.

Funnily enough ive just put a new box of 10 royals for alto up for sale in the yard sale as a friend I asked to pick me up a box got alto instead of tenor.
But I am happy with ricos.

Sorry hope that wasn't a shameless link to my sale.

Rgds Lee.

Funnily enough ive just put a new box of 10 royals for alto up for sale in the yard sale as a friend I asked to pick me up a box got alto instead of tenor.
But I am happy with ricos.

Sorry hope that wasn't a shameless link to my sale.

Rgds Lee.

Hey Lee,

What´s the number of the reeds? If they´re 2.5 I might buy them from you.

Cheers,

Raf.

I mostly use Ricos. If you like the Royals, try the Jazz Select (RJS).... But - whatever works for you on your kit is what counts.

But saying Ricos are bad is like saying Selmer/Yanagisawa/.... are rubbish, just cos you play a different make. Guess this guy's still into debating whether Ford is better than GM/Chrysler etc.

Hey Kev,

The guy is a sax psycho. He´s extremely methodical with his playing and teaching.

I think that maybe he had a bad experience with Rico in the past and now he´s traumatized somehow! Hahaha!

Anyway, he´s a very nice guy and a terrific player.

Check out some of his songs:

and more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmqgFdEpTic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohrhdobD_Dg

Cheers,

Raf.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raf, I'm sure you're right. Sounds as if you've educated him as well...

So, I went to my sax class today and started playing with my new reed, without telling my teacher anything. Guys, you should see his face; He was astonished with my tone!

When I told him I was using a Rico reed, he almost had a heart attack! Hahahaha!

So, what do you think of these Rico reeds?

Cheers,

Raf.

:))):welldone:)))

Love it

I am using Rico Jazz Select on sop

Jx

He's french so he'd only consider Renault, Citroen or Peugot. Reeds obviously have to be french as well.

They wouldn't have sold so many for so long if they were no good. Like any natural product you get good and bad in the same box. I'm currently using Vandoren classic blue but have used Rico Royale in the past. There was a time when nobody I knew liked vandoren because they squeaked. It really is a case of using what works, and if it works it can't be bad.

I had to turn the video off after a few minutes. A bit odd for my taste. I don't know what you're going to learn from him. Perhaps a little Gallic arrogance. ;-)

They wouldn't have sold so many for so long if they were no good. Like any natural product you get good and bad in the same box. I'm currently using Vandoren classic blue but have used Rico Royale in the past. There was a time when nobody I knew liked vandoren because they squeaked. It really is a case of using what works, and if it works it can't be bad.

I had to turn the video off after a few minutes. A bit odd for my taste. I don't know what you're going to learn from him. Perhaps a little Gallic arrogance. ;-)

Hey Colin,

His solo work is quite peculiar indeed, but the full album is terrific.

He´s a very technical and rigorous saxophonist; and an awesome teacher.

Cheers,

Raf.

How much ? I can't see them in the yard :headscratch:

Trimmy, it would appear the add didn't place??????

So I put them up for £15 + £1 p+p.

There Rico royal N02 box of 10 for alto, unopened in cellophane even with recipt!

Sorry to hijack Raf..

Rgds Lee.

I always thought Rico was a French Company. The first Rico reeds certainly came out've Frankreich. Whatever - they get their "Arundo-Donax" from the Var Region in France. Maybe you should educate your educator. I've been playing Rico Royals for over 40 years wouldn't use anything else. "One man's Viande is another man's poison" - Au revoir mes amis, bon chance - le spike

I always thought Rico was a French Company. The first Rico reeds certainly came out've Frankreich. Whatever - they get their "Arundo-Donax" from the Var Region in France.

The first Rico was secretly smuggled the the Americas in the 16th century. Initially they tried to make it with buffalo hair, but it sounded a bit too mellow. They tried with the horn ant it was too edgy. Only in the 20th century the started using bamboo.

"Arundo Donax" is a urban myth. Arundo is a car brand from Korea (I had an Arundo Blanca, their family car) and their Donax model is only partially assembled in the Var district.

I have a few Vandoren around and while there's nothing particularly wrong with them, my choice is Rico La Voz. For me they play better than even RJS and other reeds I have tried. Just what works for me though.

As in "What's you boisson?"?
Sorry, we're straying, but I didn't start it.

Back
Top Bottom