Tutorials

Reeds Rico Plasticcovers Bar #5?

thomsax

I'm using Plasticcovers bari reeds 3½ and 4. Now I need a package of Plasticovers #5. Where to find them? Most shops just has up to #4.

Thomas

jonf

WHAT?

Plasticover 5s! Must be like blowing using a scaffolding plank. Man, you must either have chops like a vice or be using a seriously narrow tip.

saxnik

Agreed - personally I think I get much more control with a wider tip opening and softer reeds. The funky doc from Tower of Power uses 1.5's, according to Wikipedia...

According to his bio on the Bump City site, the "Doc" plays a Yamaha YBS-62 baritone saxophone, Berg Larsen 130 facing metal mouthpiece, and Rico Plasticover 1.5 strength reeds.

phooesnax

How about paint paddles if you cannot find them? Holy smoke 5!

I used to play hard reeds in HS and to tell you the truth I am much happier with a softer reed. more controla nd range of tone colors.

OP
thomsax

thomsax

I use Platsticcovers baritone reeds on both tenor and bari. The #5 is for tenor. I have a Rovner #8 (.110) tenor mpc but I'm going to order a #10 (.120) soon. The lig is a Rovner as well with Massload technology (I write this in small letters if Pete Thomas reads this!) and it holds a bari reed on o tenor mouthpiece in a good way. I have no controlle. Just load and hard! For me it's harder to play on a soft reeds!

On baritone I play Plasticcovers #3½. My bari mouthpiece is a refaced Dukoff D9 (the baffle is slightly filed down and the tip is opened up to c .140) and I use the standard ligature.

Thomas

Stephen Howard

It's something of a misconception that a harder reed is always going to be a harder blow - it all depends on the profile of the mouthpiece lay ( not the tip opening ).
I use Plasticover 5s on my alto and tenor Dukoff D8s - and they work because the the length and curve of the lay is appropriate.
Now, if I were to bung those reeds on my workbench pieces I'd really struggle to get a note out of them...so what I do is use the 5s on them after they're no longer suitable for gigging - by which time they're closer to a 3.

Regards,

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
'S true. 'Small' from Fat45 (our baritone player) used to use a berg larsen 105/2 with rico royal 5s and the whole set up didn't feel tough to work...
It's something of a misconception that a harder reed is always going to be a harder blow - it all depends on the profile of the mouthpiece lay ( not the tip opening ).
I use Plasticover 5s on my alto and tenor Dukoff D8s - and they work because the the length and curve of the lay is appropriate.
Now, if I were to bung those reeds on my workbench pieces I'd really struggle to get a note out of them...so what I do is use the 5s on them after they're no longer suitable for gigging - by which time they're closer to a 3.

Regards,

Top Bottom