support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Rico Metalite Mouthpieces. Definately Worth The Money.

Grahame

Locality
Hexham
Hi - I felt I had to add a thread following today's adventure. I was unhappy with my soprano mouthpiece. Unfortunately on a cheap but OK Venus nickel plated sop, but I knew there was a better sound and intonation in there somewhere. I read a lot about Rico Metalite mouthpieces and decided to buy an M7 from Amazon for the princely sum of £27 (about the same tip opening as my Yani M8). Hell, Amazon had a tenor Metalite M9 too for £25, so I ordered one of those too as a possible back up to my Lawton 8*B tenor mcp. The soprano Metalite was instantly wonderful. Better intonation, very bright tone and better tuning than my Yani M8. For now it has become my mcp of choice.
The tenor M9 was also very very good. Not as easy as the Lawton and I had to use slightly harder reeds even though the tip opening was the same as the Lawton at .115. I do need to experiment more with reeds. I started with a Rico Jazz Select 2M unfiled, went up through 2M filed, 2H and 3S, Bari MS and ended up on a Harry Hartmann Fiberreed, which I like a lot. I really want to use real reeds but have not yet found anything better for me than Fiberreed although RJS have sometimes worked well. I'm going to try Plasticovers next.
When I opened the boxes for the Rico Metalite mcps I was amazed by the dangerously high baffles. Here are some pictures of the tenor piece.

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

They are not HR but made with a composite material and they do seem to give a metal mouthpiece sound.The sop piece looked exactly the same.
Conclusion - the Metalites are great value for money and could be the main or backup mouthpiece for many people looking for a bright tone without spending wads of cash.

I've got one hanging out in my alto case...(with a lot of other mouthpieces as well)...

They also have good pedigree - they were designed by Arnold Brilhart...

Greg S.

Try Marca Jazz on the sop. I switched to them from RJS a while ago. Can't put a definite why to it, but they just work better all round.

Had one for my tenor for while- great for power, very well made & can’t argue they’re fantastic value but- in my case- I felt it’s severe baffle compromised my low notes a bit more than I was comfortable with….

I use the m9 tenor mouthpiece and I have found they work well with plasticover 2 reeds
I find this combination gives me more control especially on low notes

The metallites are great if you want loud/raunchy. Great value for money, and if you try one and it's not for you, it's not an expensive affair - as it would be buying a mouthpiece costing hundreds.

Had one for my tenor for while- great for power, very well made & can’t argue they’re fantastic value but- in my case- I felt it’s severe baffle compromised my low notes a bit more than I was comfortable with….

I have found that as well. In my case I can get down to the bottom of the horn with lots of air, so loud and medium volumes, but can't quite get the lucious subtones as I can with the Lawton. Overall, so impressed with the Metalite as a backup piece, I've ordered a new lig that hopefully will let the reed do it's stuff.

Thanks for your reply

The metallites are great if you want loud/raunchy. Great value for money, and if you try one and it's not for you, it's not an expensive affair - as it would be buying a mouthpiece costing hundreds.

So true.
Thanks.

Try Marca Jazz on the sop. I switched to them from RJS a while ago. Can't put a definite why to it, but they just work better all round.

While tweaking my daughters sop I bought a box of Marca Jazz (because they were cheap and Tom Mapfumo had mebtioned them) I was very impressed. I too have a Metalie Rico it realy puts the edge into a horn. I' m going to dig out my tenor piece and try the same combination on my 10M.

Hi - have you got a Metalite M7 sop piece? If so what strength Marca Jazz reed do you use? I'm not sure whether to try the 2 or the 2.5.

Thanks

Hi - have you got a Metalite M7 sop piece? If so what strength Marca Jazz reed do you use? I'm not sure whether to try the 2 or the 2.5.

Thanks

Using 3 on the M7 sop. There isn' t a big problem with the bottom end except whent trying to tone it down. It's not too bad running down quietly when the air is flowing but starting up quietly can be dificult. Regards Al

Thanks Al

3's may be a tad hard for me, but you made me make the decision to go for the 2½'s

G

Using 3 on the M7 sop. There isn' t a big problem with the bottom end except whent trying to tone it down. It's not too bad running down quietly when the air is flowing but starting up quietly can be dificult. Regards Al

Hi Al - if you're talking about trying the Marca Jazz on your Conn with a Metalite piece (M9?) let me know how it goes. I'd like to get cane working on my tenor instead of the Fiberreed.
Thanks G

While tweaking my daughters sop I bought a box of Marca Jazz (because they were cheap and Tom Mapfumo had mebtioned them) I was very impressed. I too have a Metalie Rico it realy puts the edge into a horn. I' m going to dig out my tenor piece and try the same combination on my 10M.

Hi Al - the Marca Jazz 2½ reeds from Reeds Direct arrived this morning (such a great service from these guys). First reed out of the box. Wet it, slapped it on the Metalite M7 and ping! Slightly stuffier sound than the Fibereed, but wow. With the Metalite M7 and the Marca Jazz, the sop has never been so in tune. Job done. Many thanks.

Still looking for something dependable from cane for the tenor. If you have results with Marca / Metalite / Conn I'd love to hear.

G

I use Marca Jazz on sop, alto and tenor - best move I ever made!

Hi Al - the Marca Jazz 2½ reeds from Reeds Direct arrived this morning (such a great service from these guys). First reed out of the box. Wet it, slapped it on the Metalite M7 and ping! Slightly stuffier sound than the Fibereed, but wow. With the Metalite M7 and the Marca Jazz, the sop has never been so in tune. Job done. Many thanks.

Still looking for something dependable from cane for the tenor. If you have results with Marca / Metalite / Conn I'd love to hear.

G
Hi Graham

Not used Marca on tenor (yet), I usually use my normal Rico Jazz select 3H with the metalite 7. Plays well to bottom, though again better top register but bottom end reasonable.

Alun

Hi Graham

Not used Marca on tenor (yet), I usually use my normal Rico Jazz select 3H with the metalite 7. Plays well to bottom, though again better top register but bottom end reasonable.

Alun

Hi Alun - well that's good to know. My tenor piece is an M9 and I don't seem to be having great joy with RJS from 2M's to 3S's. Don't want to go harder than that with RJS. After the success on sop with Marca Jazz, and Amanda's post that she switched to Marca Jazz on SA&T I'll dive in for tenor too.

Thanks for your reply

G

Back
Top Bottom