support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Rico Jazz Select: Filed vs Unfiled (w/ sound clips)

Benbrittonjazz

Locality
Philadelphia, PA
I've pitted filed and unfiled Rico Jazz Selects against each other in a comparison review. I've also made a recording of each which illustrates the differences in sound qualities pretty clearly. For anyone who is interested - www.everythingsaxophone.blogspot.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, pretty much agrees with what I've found. Filed - bright, unfiled - not so bright. Cheers!

Interestingly (or not - depends how geeky you are about reeds), when I got my current bari mpc - a Jody Jazz DV - sax.co.uk recommended the unfiled ones. Having lived with it for a couple of years now, I reckon they're wrong. Filed are much better, but, like everything else in this business, it depends on your style. Mine is noisy.

Interestingly (or not - depends how geeky you are about reeds), when I got my current bari mpc - a Jody Jazz DV - sax.co.uk recommended the unfiled ones. Having lived with it for a couple of years now, I reckon they're wrong. Filed are much better, but, like everything else in this business, it depends on your style. Mine is noisy.
Not us guv- we're just passing on what Jody Espina said...

In that test I preferred the unfiled listening through apple earphones.
I have been using these reeds (3S) for a couple of months now after a 8 year long devotion to La voz MH.
But a change of direction bought on a change of reeds amongst other things.
I originally bought the unfiled and so went back for another box. I ordered filed by mistake this time and fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, I don't hear too much difference with my set up but again leaning towards the unfiled.

I can't tell any difference, or any more difference between one reed and another of the same type.

one thing we've noticed is that the difference is less noticable on big chamder, low baffle pieces and more pronounced on things like dukoffs.....

I can't tell any difference, or any more difference between one reed and another of the same type.

I am genuinely worried about your hearing, Pete. Maybe you have either played too loud for too long or have used up your hearing allowance. My wife, without any info whatsoever, noticed the difference between my new Rico H metal ligature and the Rovner light that I have usually used on tenor.......

Kind regards
Tom

My wife, without any info whatsoever, noticed the difference between my new Rico H metal ligature and the Rovner light that I have usually used on tenor.......

Maybe she listens with her eyes....>:)

ho hum.............

If she was wearing X Ray Specs she might have been able to see the difference - she was in the kitchen, I was in the music room. Kev, you are sometimes a bit too clever for your own good..............:shocked:;}

Love as always
Tom:cool:

I prefer the unfiled as well. My brother, a great jazz trumpet player, heard the difference as well, and likes the unfiled. Not that unfiled is the right answer, I'm just saying many people hear the sonic differences.

Tests like these can be very subjective unless they are done ultra consistently between takes. Mic placement, distance, and angle change the sound immensely and will definitely make the horn sound brighter or darker. I can hear that the player is moving slightly during the recording, so the comparison here is definitely not an accurate one. Also, it's really best to play the same thing on both takes as closely as possible. That said, I do appreciate anyone taking the time to put this stuff out there since it's always good to hear play tests regardless. Also, the verdict is pretty much on par with my experience, but to me the differences aren't quite as amplified.

I've been "stuck" playing 2H filed RSJ's on tenor for years because I can't really find anything that plays better for my setup/sound. I definitely prefer them over others for their focus and slight brightness, however they are very flexible so you can definitely go dark if you like (at least if your horn/mpc is also flexible).

I prefer the filed, but I will get the unfiled if thats all that is in stock. They aren't super different, but you can definitely hear a slight difference. The unflied are rougher on the lips, noticeable when playing wide dynamics (moving in and out alot). To me they are a little less bright, but also can be "pushed" to become brighter.

http://www.brianwolfemusic.com

I was going to start another topic but it seems relevant to post here. I have been playing Rico Jazz Select 2M Unfiled for the past few weeks and love the sound compared to the Rico Royals 2.5 that I was using previously.

What I have noticed is that the Rico Unfiled Jazz Selects don’t last anywhere near as long as the Rico Royals did. They get softer much quicker, making them unplayable!

When I played the Rico Royals 2.5 I would alternate between six reeds rotating them every 45 minutes. Six reeds would be playable for more than a week before they got too soft to play.

However, with the Rico Unfiled Jazz Selects I am finding that I need to change the reed every 30 minutes. They also seem to take longer to dry out so I need to use eight reeds apposed to six. The plastic sleeves seem to add time to them drying out unlike Royals for some reason. I use an opened reed case to ensure they dry flat and quicker. Nonetheless, I find the Jazz Selects become too soft to play after just three days.

Effectively I am getting through 16 Jazz Selects a week compared to just 6 Royals!

Has anyone else found the Jazz Selects not lasting as long?

Tests like these can be very subjective unless they are done ultra consistently between takes. Mic placement, distance, and angle change the sound immensely and will definitely make the horn sound brighter or darker. I can hear that the player is moving slightly during the recording, so the comparison here is definitely not an accurate one. Also, it's really best to play the same thing on both takes as closely as possible. That said, I do appreciate anyone taking the time to put this stuff out there since it's always good to hear play tests regardless. Also, the verdict is pretty much on par with my experience, but to me the differences aren't quite as amplified.
http://www.brianwolfemusic.com

Brian,

Thanks for the feedback and support on conclusions. As far as you not finding the differences as amplified as me - I think that could be due to any number of factors from equipment to playing technique, but the differences are clearly there either way.

And as far as playing the same thing for playtests and not moving around on the mic, etc. The idea behind the recordings I do is to demonstrate the overall sound of a piece of equipment. I play whatever feels/sounds good on that piece of equipment. so, yes, even on back to back reed comparisons I'll play different things. You definitely still hear the differences.

Finally, I agree that mic placement does change the sound. However, the mic was placed in the same place and though I probably did move some on the recording I'm not prone to moving around very much while I play. I stay on mic pretty well.

Basically, I'm trying to provide a good resource for players to get the general idea of a piece of equipment. The details, as we all know, will be subjective to the player, but at least they have a very good idea of what they are getting into.

Has anyone else found the Jazz Selects not lasting as long?

Hi Paul, I generally find the RJS to last just as long as your normal reed. I've definitely noticed a shorter playing life with Rico Orange Box reeds, but no other brand has ever stuck out. Reeds usually last some place between 4-7 days for me.

Have you tried a harder strength?

Ben

Thanks Ben,

I have tried the 2H but they seem a tadge too hard for me. Have thought about giving a 3S and 3M a whirl. I play the RJS on the Alto and Tenor with a 7* Tip Opening so didn't want to go too hard.

I agree the orange box don't last five minutes!

Thanks Ben,

I have tried the 2H but they seem a tadge too hard for me. Have thought about giving a 3S and 3M a whirl. I play the RJS on the Alto and Tenor with a 7* Tip Opening so didn't want to go too hard.

I agree the orange box don't last five minutes!

Well 3S and 3M are just going to be harder. I also play a 7*... I don't know what to tell you! The whole only playing each reed for 30 minutes seems a little different to me. I play for hours at a time on the same reed and the only things that really break are my chops, at least when I've got a healthy reed.

Hi Paul!

I play RJS's on Alto and Tenor - never had one last less than 6 months. I rotate 4 of them via my Vandoren Hygrocase, so each is played every 4 days and last ages. I play 2M & 2H. When I started on Soprano I used to use RR 2.5's and when I played them each day they lasted about a week/10 days.

Just how you get through them so quickly is inexplicable - is it the sea air on Man..........?
Kind regards
Tom

Back
Top Bottom