support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Mouthpieces Rico Graftonite or Yamaha Tenor Mouthpiece?

Better Tenor Sax Mouthpiece?

• Rico Graftonite

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Yamaha

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TripleB

The Rico Metalite is also under $30 but from what I've read it's mainly a Rock/Jazz mouthpiece. I'm not sure how well it would work with the hymns and Christmas music I'll be playing and if/when I play in my church. Should I consider it as well?

After receiving a $900+ medical bill from my microfracture knee surgery in the mail, I've decided that I need to drop the amount I spend on a mouthpiece for my tenor saxophone to under $30; so that basically leaves me with two choices with reasonable quality: Rico Graftonite or Yamaha.

So, IYO, is the Rico Graftonite or the Yamaha (or possibly the Metalite) a better mouthpiece for a tenor sax?

I would probably go with the B5 in the Rico and a 5C or 6C in the Yamaha (and M7 in the Metalite).

As far as the sound I would like to get out of my Bundy II...I've always loved that deep bluesy growling sound or maybe a George Thorogood type sound. Not sure which mouthpiece (Graftonite, Yamaha, or Metalite) would lend itself to that sound or how that type of sound would work in the church or with hymns, but that's the sound I like.

This is the last question until later down the road when I start looking at reeds. Going cheap right now, trying out some Rico Royal 2.0 - 2.5 - and 3.0, and then later down the road look at some higher quality reeds if I feel the need.

Thanks for all your input and patience.

TripleB

BTW: I'll be using my tenor to mainly play all types of music (hymns, Christmas, pop, jazz, etc.) in my home. Hopefully if I get back to being pretty good I may play at church.

Last edited by a moderator:
As said many times before, the mouthpiece doesn't produce the sound, you do.

Either of the mouthpieces you suggest will be fine to start developing your embouchure although most start with the yam 4c.

Another good beginners mpiece is the Bari Esprit.

Well the 5C and B5 both have similar tip openings (.08) so you may just want to pick whichever is cheaper. Another money saving tip would be to buy a synthetic reed like Legere. I have found they save me a lot of money seeing as I don't need to buy boxes upon boxes of cane any more.

On the reeds - better to go with soft cane for now, building up reed strength as you embouchure develops. Then you don't have a big investment in a reed that's too soft for you.

Thanks kev forgot about that…
Definitely work up your airstream with different strengths until your ready to settle on one single strength.
Also if your trying different brands of reeds check some strength charts… A #2 Rico is different from a #2 Vandoren blue box.

Playing a Metalite in a church?? Let me see: a beginner enter a church with his brand new tenor and a Metalite! :w00t: - a bit like a spiked bull in a china shop (if you ask me) - I have no idea where you got the idea but I wouldn't recommend that - in fact I wouldn't recommend any Metalite to a beginner simply because these aren't representative of the average mouthpiece (still the grey things are among my favourites) - do your initial work on any Yamaha or Rico (then later on do try the Metalite).
Personally, I'm very impressed with the Rico A3 for tenor - very dark and lush sound (probably due to the large chamber).

btw: I've sold 60 odd Metalites long before they were reintroduced in the Market (by popular demand) - I have a couple left...feel free to PM (against my interests I suggest to wait a bit longer).

Playing a Metalite in a church?? Let me see: a beginner enter a church with his brand new tenor and a Metalite! :w00t: - a bit like a spiked bull in a china shop (if you ask me) - I have no idea where you got the idea but I wouldn't recommend that

Personally, I'm very impressed with the Rico A3 for tenor - very dark and lush sound (probably due to the large chamber).

The playing in church is a 'down the road' hope, not something I plan to do within the next week. I guess you would call me a "re"-beginner. I played for 7 years but that was 27 years ago.

I guess the reason I was looking at the B5 in the Graftonite was because it seems the type of music I will be playing is so varied, therefore I thought the B5 might be a nice compromise between all of them.

Thanks for your input!

TripleB

TripleB, best thing I can say is go to a shop and try some mouthpieces for yourself.. All the advice in the world can only point you in a certain direction. At the end of the day you might not even like the two mouthpieces mentioned when YOU play them..

Chris...

The playing in church is a 'down the road' hope, not something I plan to do within the next week. I guess you would call me a "re"-beginner. I played for 7 years but that was 27 years ago.

I guess the reason I was looking at the B5 in the Graftonite was because it seems the type of music I will be playing is so varied, therefore I thought the B5 might be a nice compromise between all of them.

Thanks for your input!

TripleB

7 years is quite a lot....even with a 27 year gap you should get back in track quicker that expected - my experience is similar to yours except that the gap was about 15 years and 3 years of intensive sax studies (5-6 hours per day)....it took me less than an hour to get back the whole range of the sax comfortably...

The Metalite is notoriously loud and aggressive - that's why I can't see it being played in a church - not by a beginner anyhow...while an experience player can take full advantage of this versatile mouthpiece and with careful sub-toning along the whole range (not just the low register) can be tamed and forged as one please.

The Metalite is notoriously loud and aggressive - that's why I can't see it being played in a church - not by a beginner anyhow...while an experience player can take full advantage of this versatile mouthpiece and with careful sub-toning along the whole range (not just the low register) can be tamed and forged as one please.

".... it's not what you play, it's how you play it .... " I know a player that are playing classical saxophone on a Dukoff D8 and another player is playing Rock & Roll Saxophone on a classical mouthpiece. Both are sounding very good. I think the audience like a enthusiastic saxplayer even if he/she is braking some stylistics rules. If someone ask you to play in the church and you just have a "rock & roll mouthpiece", I think you shouldn't let your mouthpiece hold you back. Play and enjoy!

Thomas

".... it's not what you play, it's how you play it .... " I know a player that are playing classical saxophone on a Dukoff D8 and another player is playing Rock & Roll Saxophone on a classical mouthpiece. Both are sounding very good. I think the audience like a enthusiastic saxplayer even if he/she is braking some stylistics rules. If someone ask you to play in the church and you just have a "rock & roll mouthpiece", I think you shouldn't let your mouthpiece hold you back. Play and enjoy!

Thomas

you are reinstating what already said...
Still, I don't know of anyone capable of playing a Yamaha C4 and making it sound as loud as a Metalite (just one example)....in this case it is better to stay away from black/white statements and agree that while the player has a major role, there are other factors which are also relevant - the parallel "nurture v nature" isn't misplaced in this case.

I love Metalites but I play loud Rock/ Blues, they are great for that, not what you want at all!
My experience of the Graftonite B5, is that it will do the job for you.
Reeds? forget about "chops" as they call them. Use something around a 2 (that you find easy to work with) and stick with it.
Concentrate on tone & vibrato!!!!!!
Good stuff this Australian Shiraz "in it!!"

John :):);}

One thing to note about the Graftonite is that the table (where the reed sits) is "raised" so that it leaves a corner between the table and the outer side of the mouthpiece chamber, whereas in the Yam xC the table joins smoothly into the MPC. (Kind of difficult to explain in words, but look at the tables of the two types of MPCs side-by-side and you'll see what I mean.) I have a Graftonite C7 for alto, and the corner feels pretty uncomfortable in my mouth. That combined with the relatively large opening of the MPC and thus tighter lip pressure makes for sore lips after a while. This may be of less concern on the tenor though.

I love Metalites but I play loud Rock/ Blues, they are great for that, not what you want at all!

Good stuff this Australian Shiraz "in it!!"

John :):);}

Me too. I'd go for the Metalite every time, but then, hymns are not exactly my chosen musical form.......

I also go for the Australian Shiraz sort of thing, but what do your Spanish neighbours think of that? Don't they think you should be genteelly sipping a fine Rioja Crianza, rather than belting out the blues several sheets to the wind on Oz Shiraz?

I'm sorry I don't see much point in this poll if what you want is a mouthpiece for yourself, you will just get other peoples' opinions.

Why narrow it down to those two? Or, OTOH, why not just buy one of them and get on with practising. They are both fine and neither is better or worse in general.

How do we know what would be best for you? They are both good mouthpieces. Hite Premier is what I might prefer in that price range.

Back
Top Bottom