All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

M/Pieces - Ligs Rico Graftonite B7 Tenor - Outstanding???

ellinas

Locality
Athens, Greece
Hello

I took out of the drawer a B7 Rico Graftonite and played it with a RJS 2H.
I can't believe how good this mouthpiece is for the money paid (15 euros 5 years ago).
It has a strong core and it's reaaaally expressive.

I remember I didn't like it in the past but I was playing Blue Vandorens. I tried it with a blue vandoren and I got the same negative feeling. With the RJS it's like they were made for each other.

Does anyone else like his/her tenor B7? Or am I just lucky?

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Rico mouthpiece will be american lay? Vandoren classic blue french filed. I'm guessing you're using unfiled RJS, American cut.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
They work well with filed reeds like Rico Royal and filed rjs..

kernewegor

Bon vivant, raconteur and twit
Locality
cocks hill perranporth KERNOW
They are incredibly good value. I was very impressed when I got a Graftonite A5 for my tenor.

After a while I thought I'd try the Metalite M5 and found I liked it even more. Even more expressive possibilities and a lot more volume but needs more control or you can split notes until you get used to it.

I use the Metalite all the time now.

I see that I have been using RSJ filed, Rico Royal filed, Superials unfiled... they all sound good, sometimes after a little sanding, sometimes just as they come.

Jose

Locality
Granada
I use a Metallite 7 with my Bundy baritone and the combination is terrific! I alternate it with a superb RPC 120B ten times more expensive. At the moment I can´t decide wich suits me better. When the RPC arrived in june the Rico was on the box some time..., last month I only played the Rico....

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I have the Metalite M11 for clarinet. Very sweet and lots of projection. Experimenting with the same on alto produces honks and squeals at present. Who'da'thought

Ads

Locality
North West UK
I never got into graftonites especially in Alto, I found the lay to be steep so the thing either octaves too easily with a soft reed or tiring with a hard one - given the universal appraisal here, it`s obviously me and my preference for long lay wider tip mouthpieces . Could be that I never found the right reed for them though......

Never tried a Metallite , I doubt it`d suit Yamahas unless in the commercial decorating business.

BigMartin

Locality
Manchester, UK
I never got into graftonites especially in Alto, I found the lay to be steep so the thing either octaves too easily with a soft reed or tiring with a hard one - given the universal appraisal here, it`s obviously me and my preference for long lay wider tip mouthpieces . Could be that I never found the right reed for them though......
I'd agree they're not the easiest to blow I'm just getting to the point with the PPT where I can get a similar sound to the one I had on the Graftonite, but with a softer reed and a lot less effort.

Ads

Locality
North West UK
I found the PPT despite its wide 8* tip far more stable than a graftonite , the thing about a long lay is that it makes control easier, hard reed on a narrow tip, no problem, likewise softer reed on an 8* you get finer control (and bags of power) - it`s simple leverage principle, playing a short lay is like holding a lump hammer too close to the head ..

I liked the sound of the graftonite, just wish they made it longer lay.. Bari ought to do larger tip versions of the Esprit too, am Esprit-II Alto with a 7 tip would be bargain backup piece of the decade ! ..

BigMartin

Locality
Manchester, UK
Yes, but with finer control comes more responsibilty to exercise that control. The PPT is a bit like I magine driving a sports car would be, compared to the Graftonite's family saloon. Much more sensitive to the controls, so you can get more out of it, but if you don't keep your foot steady on the gas...

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom