All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Beginner rhythm practice

agganitk

please suggest on how should i do rhythm practice. i see websites which put up random rhythm for practice, but how i should do it. I ll be traveling for a month and away from my sax so i thought why not work on making rhythm better,..

Targa

Among the pigeons
Café Supporter
Locality
KIC 8462852
You could try tap dancing but mind you don't fall in the sink.
Which is as bad as the fifty year old:
My grandmother tried to rock around the clock but she fell off the mantelpiece.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
This was a while ago and not specifically about practising without your sax but you may find something useful :)

Jx

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Can clap, hum, tap your feet or use some sticks to drum the rhythms.

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
On moving passages that are slurred, the fingers produce the rhythm. On moving passages that are tongued, both the tongue and the fingers produce the rhythm and must be perfectly together. On a single note the tongue produces the rhythm. My suggestion then is to say the rhythm with du's and dot's. Du for all the eighth notes, and dot for quarter notes unless marked long and eight notes that come before a rest.

This goes back to the adage my teacher taught me years ago, "If you can say it, you can play it".

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
There's an old Dave Barry joke that you can determine if you're a Republican or Democrat merely by clapping along to "Hit The Road Jack".
If you're clapping "Hit the Road - CLAP - Jack - CLAP...", you're clapping on the 2 and 4, you have rock and roll in your soul and you're a Democrat.
If you clap "Hit the CLAP...CLAP", you're clapping on the 1 and 3, listen primarily to polka or classical music and are a Republican.

jbtsax

Café Supporter
Locality
Beautiful Springville, Utah USA
I believe that to be true. I also believe that if you can't even find the beat, you are a member of the "Tea Party".

agganitk

thanks everyone .. I know I am asking too much..
but nevertheless, do we use only DU and DOT while singing the rhythm for Saxophone..or there are some more words.. Are there any words which will help in jazz articulation for sax, along with rhythm ?

spike

Old Indian
Locality
Half way up a hill
Lots of fun and games on this thread ;)
I tend to use dot, da, di, and da-ah etc. One book I got a lot of mileage out of was "Sight-Read Any Rhythm Instantly" by Mark Philips. (Although some of his approach nerved me a bit) When it gets difficult break it down into beats and cut the bars in half or even thirds or quarters depending on the rhythm. I spent some time in India in the sixties and hung around the music school in Benares/Varanasi for a while. The Tabla guys used ta tikka tikka ta ta tikka ta-ah tikka etc. I guess it's whatever floats yer boat down the Ganges.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Great tread indeed. I used to sing drum grooves, but that is not strictly sax related.
I like the idea of expressing articulation...

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I had a Mulligan CD on in the car going down the motorway and started to hear a fascinating syncopated rhythm I hadn't noticed before. I turned up the volume. The music got louder but the rhythm stayed the same. I turned off the stereo and there it still was. Diddley ooh da pooh pah do bipetty bop pah pum dadee do. It was a carrier bag flapping about under the car. I aim at them now for rhythmic inspiration.

spike

Old Indian
Locality
Half way up a hill
There you have it
"expressive articulation" coupled with "rhythmic inspiration"
one more glass of Bardolino, tip-toe up the stairs, wishing you all a sound, deep and rejuvenating sleep and slumbers - Good night and happy zzzzeees.

P.S. was it a paper carrier bag or a plastic one? I've heard the Eurocrats in Brussels want to ban the plastic variety - we should stand up and demand our human right to spontaneous syncopated rhythmic inspiration.

Last edited:

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Locality
London
Gerry Mulligan putting a carrier bag undet Colin's car while Spike is enjoying classy Bardolino?
This is a great forum.

I myself worked tonight with the greatest latin rhythm section I ever played with in my life (Roberto Pla's latin big band) and I am over the moon humming mambo lines...

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
I believe that to be true. I also believe that if you can't even find the beat, you are a member of the "Tea Party".
Just as well we don't have one here. You'd have made me a member.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom