All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

M/Pieces - Ligs Reverting to previous setups - just me?

Bradley

Hey there cafe-goers,

When I was younger, I tried out all the different reed types when I was buying my first professional level sax (a Yani A991 for the record). I was immediately taken by the Vandoren ZZ 2.5/3s. Then, a couple of years later, my friend introduced me to the Alexander NY 3s, which I have played every since. However, in the last couple of weeks, I found an unopened pack of Vandoren ZZ 3s which I bought just before my previous conversion, and have found myself enjoying the ZZs again. Has anyone else found themselves switching back to a previous setup (be it reeds, mouthpieces, ligatures, necks, saxes), and found themselves enjoying the new sound a lot more than their current set up, and indeed more than when they used it before?

Guenne

Locality
Austria
Hey,

this is a good argument for not selling equipment (a mouthpiece for instance) when switching to a new one, as you might want to return to it :)
My teacher told me that a friend of his - Bennie Wallace - who has been playing on the same mouthpiece for quite a while buys new ones on a regular basis to play (practice) on them for a while just to return to his regular one. He does this to find new things in his "old" equipment he thought he could not find.

To answer your question, yes, I find myself doing this.

Cheers,
Guenne

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
I'm always trying different stuff lately. I find it very frustrating how a new mouthpiece that sounds / feels great, reverts to being me after about an hour. I played the same mouthpiece on alto since the 80's and recently changed. It's better but I keep having a blow of the old one to make sure. Still not found "the one" for alto.

altissimo

Locality
leicester
I've tried some of my older mouthpieces lately and I don't get on with the ones I used a lot 10 years ago - they all play well, but small chambers, shorter facings and smaller tip openings don't do it for me any more.
It's nice having a shelf full of mouthpieces, but the Runyons and a few Bergs and other bits and pieces will have to go and I just can't summon much enthusiasm for tenor anymore, so the 30's Martin may end up on ebay too... :(

Jonesy

Old Fart At Play
Locality
Birmingham, UK
Odd that this subject should come up last Saturday as I was finding my favourite mouthpieces (PPT Onyxite, Otto Link, Selmer, and Rico Metalite) all sounded dull and lifeless.
So I had a go with my Chinese mettle (sic) which I hadn't used for months, and happily played the weekend away with a bright sound.

(I have since re-tried my favourites and they blow OK now, so it could have been due to atmospheric pressure, or temperature, or humidity, or most probably me.)

Nick Wyver

noisy
Café Supporter
Locality
Minster On Sea
I reverted to cane reeds after about 5 years of playing synthetics. I've never (IIRC) gone back to an old mouthpiece but I don't just stick to one anyway. I tend to keep them for a few years then flog them if they've not been played.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Odd that this subject should come up last Saturday as I was finding my favourite mouthpieces (PPT Onyxite, Otto Link, Selmer, and Rico Metalite) all sounded dull and lifeless.
So I had a go with my Chinese mettle (sic) which I hadn't used for months, and happily played the weekend away with a bright sound.

(I have since re-tried my favourites and they blow OK now, so it could have been due to atmospheric pressure, or temperature, or humidity, or most probably me.)

That's very odd. I was out Sunday and couldn't get a decent tone. Went out Tuesday and it was lush. The weather was very different.

Members online

Popular Discussions

Top Bottom