Reverb (oh god, not again!!)

Moz

I have looked back on the old forum for info on reverb units for sax but, old or new, it seems there is still no definitive device.

All I want to do is to add a little reverb to a solo piece I do with the band just to give it a bit more of an ethereal atmosphere. Just something to stick in between my mic and the mixer so as it's under my control, ya know, just on or off.

Is there such a device? At a reasonable price? I don't want much, just a little, little reverb...anyone?

Martin

Oh, and I need it before July 18th so look sharp you lot. :sax::w00t:

losaavedra

This may be a fruitless question but ... what mixer is it? I ask because I've got a ProSound PS8400 powered mixer here and among the the grillions of things to twiddle on the front panel are some buttons for introducing digital effects, mostly of the 'echoey' kind, also a socket that takes a simple on/off floor switch. I can't remember whether or not the 'on/off' setting is applied equally to all sound sources going through the thing but its worth checking the mixer you're using to see if it has any effects capability at all and, if so, whether an effect is able to be applied selectively.

OP
Moz

Moz

This may be a fruitless question but ... what mixer is it? I ask because I've got a ProSound PS8400 powered mixer here and among the the grillions of things to twiddle on the front panel are some buttons for introducing digital effects, mostly of the 'echoey' kind, also a socket that takes a simple on/off floor switch. I can't remember whether or not the 'on/off' setting is applied equally to all sound sources going through the thing but its worth checking the mixer you're using to see if it has any effects capability at all and, if so, whether an effect is able to be applied selectively.
I'll have a look at the mixer at the next rehearsal. It may be that if there is a reverb control but no switch socket then I could compromise with a bit of reverb that's on all the time. Never thought of looking at the mixer, I just plug in and go; doh!!

Martin

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Commercial Café Supporter
You don't usually get reverb units that gor between the mic and mixer, the mic level is too low. Mixers have mic preamps which bring the level up, and usaully a reverb is either connect to the mixer (via insert or auxilary) or, with some mixers as losaavedra says, is actually integrated.

As to what make, I am not really up on these any more, but Zoom used to be every good for the money.

spike

Old Indian
Subscriber
In the old days - sorry restart -
In the sixties I used a Watkins Copycat
In the seventies I used a "Solid Gold" Echolette with the "Magic Eye"
Since somewhere in the nineties I've used, and still do a Lexicon MPX 100,
I use it as part of my rack system, but I think you can go direct "IN" with stereo (two channel) "OUT"

losaavedra

Mention of the dear old Watkins Copycat was bound to start me off!! I did have one once, acquired in 1963. Before that the only effect I had was a spring reverb unit constructed, by our then bass player, made from two record player cartridges linked together by spirals of fire element. A small pre-amp drove the 'from' cartridge and what arrived at the 'to' cartridge was simply mixed with the original signal. That's about all a spring echo unit is. I've got an old 15W Vox amp with one in ... give the cab a kick and it sounds like an avalanche in a cavern! I played dozens of gigs using this fire element arrangement (plugged into a Linear Concord amp, they're another story!) until I got a Copycat. The only problem I had with that was the tape-join 'clack' clack' 'clack' noise (never quite the same tempo as the piece being played!) and the inevitable tape breaks at the most inconvenient moment.

However, thinking of the above, and that things have now moved on a bit, the following occurred to me ...

I've got a Digitech RP50 (guitar processor) here. So today, instead of plugging one of my guitars into it, I plugged a microphone in instead to see what came out. There are actually dozens of effects settings to choose and selectively mix from, the reverb ones being Room, Hall, Plate, Church, Arena and Spring ... each with 9 levels available ... and there's also 'Off' if you don't want that particular effect at all. The separate delay setting provides for 10-990ms delays and you can set the number of repeats and level. Some of the other effects available are ...

Pitch Shift. This copies the input sound, shifts it down 4, 5, 7 or 12 semitones or up 3, 4, 5, 7 or 12 semitones, then (whatever it did) it mixes the result back with the original source input.

Rotary Speaker. Emulates a rotary speaker cabinet such as a Lesley (Doppler effect).

Vibrato. Pitch Modulation.

Tremolo. Amplitude Modulation.

Phaser. Swings a copy in and out of phase then mixes it back with source signal.

Flanger. Another sweeping effect.

Chorus. Thicker sound.

All the above have up to 9 'levels' of setting and any choice of effects can be mixed together.

There is also a noise gate, EQ settings, a compressor, tuner and some interesting things like Wah and Whammy that can be controlled by plugging in an expression pedal (like I do) or going for the next Digitech model up that has one fixed to the side. Also, to at least help keep time, there's a built in drum machine with 31 different patterns and separately controllable level and tempo.

Clearly this unit isn't designed for microphones (and whatever one may introduce into them) but I figured 'audio signals are just audio signals' ... regardless of source ... so I gave the thing a whirl. The mic I used is one of my really cheapo acquisitions ... written on it is the legend RLAKY PA-668 and the words 'Dynamic Microphone'. I think I paid about 10 Euros for it in a Chinese shop in Benidorm!! Sounds OK to me for most of the things I do and it just happened to be the first one I grabbed out of the box. I would've tried it with my Sennheiser shotgun but the stupid battery has gone flat because I keep forgetting to switch it from EIN to AUS!

Anyway, after a few initial tests (just speaking the words one to ten with different effects) I tried blowing my alto through this arrangement via the same microphone. Sounded pretty OK to me but I did it in the house, not in an 'on stage' context.

Anyone more generally interested can find details of Digitech's processors via the links below. The RP50 is the cheapest of theirs and mine was less than 50 quid new a few years back. But on the Internet they can now be found now for even less.

Picture ...

http://www.digitech.com/products/Multi-Effects/RP50.php

User Manual (with all the gory details!) ...

ftp://ftp.digitech.com/pub/PDFs/Manuals/RP50 Manual 18-1396V-A.pdf

I'm personally sufficiently interested in what these processors do for guitars to want to upgrade mine to (probably) an RP350 ... once I can get the boss to agree the budget!!!

This route may or may not be a possible solution for mic'd sax. Best thing, if one is in a band, might be to ask the guitarist (assuming one has one) for a quick test via whatever pedals he's using, by sticking a microphone in the socket where he puts his guitar to see what comes out. That's if the mixer doesn't provide for effects of course. Worth a try anyway I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

dooce

The Digitech Vocal 300 takes a standard XLR mic fitting and runs off its own power supply. It is designed for voice but works fine with wind/brass instruments and will give you almost infinite control over reverb, echo, chorus, flange, doubling, pitch shift and a couple of dozen miscellaneous effects (loudhailer, alien etc.). You can get them off the Devils Junkyard for about 100 quid but DO make sure they come with the original Digitech power supply 'cos they are very sensitive. You'll need to play with the gain just barely registering, otherwise they will destroy your PA with feedback. Tricky little beasts but great fun and very effective. Now superceded by an even more complicated model, the 500 (I think)

OP
Moz

Moz

I have looked back on the old forum for info on reverb units for sax but, old or new, it seems there is still no definitive device.

All I want to do is to add a little reverb to a solo piece I do with the band just to give it a bit more of an ethereal atmosphere. Just something to stick in between my mic and the mixer so as it's under my control, ya know, just on or off.

Is there such a device? At a reasonable price? I don't want much, just a little, little reverb...anyone?

Martin

Oh, and I need it before July 18th so look sharp you lot. :sax::w00t:
Thank you all for your replies. My silence on the matter is that I have been looking into all the options as to price vs suitablility.

Yesterday I received a shiny new Behringer DR600 digital reverb. £22 plus p&p. SInce it wasn't that expensive I took a punt and it's not bad at all. I won't be able to check it out fully until next practice when the decibels come out to play but first impressions using my digi piano amp sounds OK.

I'll let you know how it goes after next Wednesday.

Cheers

Martin

OP
Moz

Moz

Thank you all for your replies. My silence on the matter is that I have been looking into all the options as to price vs suitablility.

Yesterday I received a shiny new Behringer DR600 digital reverb. £22 plus p&p. SInce it wasn't that expensive I took a punt and it's not bad at all. I won't be able to check it out fully until next practice when the decibels come out to play but first impressions using my digi piano amp sounds OK.

I'll let you know how it goes after next Wednesday.

Cheers

Martin
Behringer DR600 digital reverb -- £22 brand new

It is good. So there you go, want a cheap reverb unit for saxophone then get a Behringer DR600 digital reverb unit. Twenty two quid plus delivery from (in this case) Gear4music.

Cheers

Martin

dooce

****, that's good value! I've just bought a Behringer phantom power supply so I can use my clip-on mic with my Digitech pedal, and that's just basically a transformer - 33 quid!

dooce

Audio-Technica PRO 35 - not cutting edge technology and probably not as good as the fixed SM57 that is my usual mic, but in a noisy band like ours it's not that crucial.

Top Bottom