Taming The Saxophone

Returning to Sax after a 50 year break...

Frnic

Thanks for the Add, I am looking to learning a lot here.

I started Sax around when I was 8, played through school. I ended up sitting first chair in my high school orchestra. Then off to the Marines during VN and never got back to it - long career in other things.

Retired and have been figuring out what to do when I grow up so I started on Cello a couple years ago, and now at 70 I have started feeling an urge to revisit my dear old friend. Having smoked for 45 of those intervening years (stopped 5 years ago) I am not sure if I am going to be able to blow - time well tell.

I rented a cheap horn (Jean Paul AS400), based on reviews, for six months to see how it goes. If it looks like I am going to be getting serious again my new love affair will be with a new 62 (probably) based on the reading I have been doing and the reviews I have listened to around the web.

I look forward to picking everyones brains and seeing you around the forum.

Frank

Phil

Congrats...before you invest in a 62 play a LOT of horns.

There is nothing wrong with the horn but you may find for the same money or less you can find a horn with a sound you dig more. I know I did. There are move flavors than vanilla in ice cream :)

Meanwhile, enjoy your journey.

OP
F

Frnic

My thought on buying the 62 was to play at least 6 months on this AS400 unless I really hate it. Then to either find a yas-23 and play for a while (year?) while I look around for a horn I fall in love with - the 62 is that horn right now, or until I just can't wait any longer - at 70 waiting is not something I like to do :)

Congrats...before you invest in a 62 play a LOT of horns.

There is nothing wrong with the horn but you may find for the same money or less you can find a horn with a sound you dig more. I know I did. There are move flavors than vanilla in ice cream :)

Meanwhile, enjoy your journey.

Phil

I didnt catch that we were talking alto. I dont know much about the 62 alto. The tenor I find lacking in character. At 70 I wouldnt wait forever either...but I would play as many horns as I could before buying...some fun research for a few weeks. You may go straight back to your original choice but dont rely only on recordings and reviews. How it feels and sounds to you when you are playing is the important thing....unless you have already been playing one. Its hard to tell from your original post if you have played one. Its a little unclear.

OP
F

Frnic

I didnt catch that we were talking alto. I dont know much about the 62 alto. The tenor I find lacking in character. At 70 I wouldnt wait forever either...but I would play as many horns as I could before buying...some fun research for a few weeks. You may go straight back to your original choice but dont rely only on recordings and reviews. How it feels and sounds to you when you are playing is the important thing....unless you have already been playing one. Its hard to tell from your original post if you have played one. Its a little unclear.
I have never played a 62. I played a Selmer earlier in life. And I completely understand what you are saying. In cellos the advice is always to never buy a cello without playing it. Every cello, bow and strings react uniquely to each player, so you need to find YOUR cello. Some say it, "The cello picks you". I will definitely keep that in mind when picking my forever sax! As bad as it is to wait, it would be worse to buy the wrong one and waste a couple years finding out "MY" sax was still out there waiting for me...

GCinCT

Seeker of truth and beauty
Subscriber
I have never played a 62. I played a Selmer earlier in life. And I completely understand what you are saying. In cellos the advice is always to never buy a cello without playing it. Every cello, bow and strings react uniquely to each player, so you need to find YOUR cello. Some say it, "The cello picks you". I will definitely keep that in mind when picking my forever sax! As bad as it is to wait, it would be worse to buy the wrong one and waste a couple years finding out "MY" sax was still out there waiting for me...
Definitely try as many horns as you can and if you are able to find one, try a YAS-62 Mk I, known as the Purple Logo. Most players consider these better than the II or III. I have one and really like it a lot. It may or may not be your ideal horn, but it is worth searching for and trying one.

saxyjt

Welcome to the café Franck.

Playing sax should help you grow back your lungs! :D

Ride the wave and pick your horn of choice as you feel it. I the end, you shape your sound. Try and feel. It must feel right under the fingers too.

See you around.

Top Bottom