All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Returning to my horn.

Propella

Hey Guys & Gals,

What a perfect place sax and coffee, two of my favourite things.
I must confess it has been a long time since I picked up my Weltklang Tenor and played. All my music efforts in the last 4 or so years has been on the guitar.
But the other day my friend asked how my horn was and if I would play for him. Needless to say my excitement has very much returned.

I am looking forward to drawing upon your expertise and knowledge.

Cheers,
Joel.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Big welcome from me. Weltklang - World sound. Good solid piece of kit! Have fun here.

old git

Tremendous Bore
Welcome to the caff©, Joel.

User name suggests another aviator or maybe just the glasses?

ENJOY!​™

Andrew Sanders

Northern Commissioner for Caslm
Hi Joel,

I love Melbourne. Just like an Australian Leeds!!
Good to have yet another 6 stringer.
Welcome
Andy

Propella

Thanks Kev,
One of the reasons I joined here was to try and find out some more about the old girl. Do you know much about Weltklang's?
I have been surprised at how hard it has been to find out much at all.

Greg Strange

Welcome Joel,

From the other side of the Tasman ditch.

I think it may get a bit warmer in Melbourne than Leeds...:)))

well, summertime, anyway...

Regards,

Greg S.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Thanks Kev,
One of the reasons I joined here was to try and find out some more about the old girl. Do you know much about Weltklang's?
I have been surprised at how hard it has been to find out much at all.
Not that much, but...

Pre WWII there was a huge musical instrument making area stretching from Markneukirchen in Germany, across the border in to Czech/Bohemia. Although there was a border, there was a lot of pooling of ideas, parts and so on. Pretty much all instruments were made, by some large companies and many smaller ones. Much of the work was done in people's houses, some guys would assemble, others make specific parts etc. Standards were, in general, high. Seems to have been a lot of copying of US designs and vice versa. Quite a few makers made many stencils, Kohlert for one. It makes identifying these stencils difficult, as there are so many similarities, due to common component makers.

Post WWII the Czech side was nationalised into Amati, on the sax side this was mainly Kohlert and Keilwerth. On the E German side the nationalisation took longer, but almost all the makers ended up in a single VEB (Nationalised company) which in it's final incarnation was known as B&S (who did a lot of work to modernise the designs and improve quality, before they finally succembed to far eastern competition). Weltklang was their main brand for many years. Quality wise things suffered at times, due to lack of resources, communist orientated management etc. Not too much was put into development, so the Welklangs are very much 1930's saxes, with vintage sound and keywork/intonation to match. They're well thought of here as good solid saxes, that'll play well, sound good and take a lot of abuse. They're dismissed by many outside of Germany as cheap, cos that's how they were exported, and lack of development didn't help. If you look at the band joining the bell on, you'll probably see inscribed the VEB in effect at the time it was made. Something like Blechblas und Signal Instrument Fabrik VEB. Markneukirchen, Saxony. Which means Brass and signal instrument making people's owned (nationalised) company.

navarro

Hi Propella and welcome. I do a bit of flying, sticking leaflets through doors to supplement my meagre income. Aah, Aah poor man I know everyone is saying. But sadly I had to let the chauffeur go this morning. On the bright side his lady wife has just completed a bricklaying course and I have commissioned her to rebuild my air raid shelter. Regds. ever the charitable one. N.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
I think it may get a bit warmer in Melbourne than Leeds...:)))
Now that's just cruel - especially when we're yearning for some sign of sunshine

Welcome Joel - hope you enjoy your coffee here at the cafe :)

Greg Strange

Now that's just cruel - especially when we're yearning for some sign of sunshine

Welcome Joel - hope you enjoy your coffee here at the cafe :)
Don't worry Sue every day for the last three months in NZ where I am the temperature has been 25°C+ - the North Island is officially in drought...a bit of rain a few nights ago...Waikato dairy farms looking like the Sahara...it's autumn now and the max. temp. today is 23°C...a bit chilly in the morning about 10°C...:)
I promise you'll get some sun soon...well, maybe...:)))

Cheers,

Greg S.

Wade Cornell

Subscriber
Welcome! Not sure if you know a charectrer in Melbourne who busks around the city. He goes by the name Wilbur Weltklang on SOTW. Excellent player. Check him out if you can.

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom