support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Restart "Blues & Rock Projektet"!?!?!?!

thomsax

Locality
Sweden
I'm going to restart our rural Blues & Rock project. June 2018 was the last time. Since then lots of things changed. Use to be 15-18 musicians, on differnt level, that played in the collective (not at the same time). We are not so many players left. Just 4-5. I think it's a good way to "keep the music party going on". Not so much about "what" and "how" ... more "just play and have fun". What would you like to have if you go to a Blues & Rock meetting/jam? Some things to consider.
  • Use to have a songlist of 6-10 songs that I send out in advance. Just so we know what to start with.
  • This time I'm not going to give them the keys in advance. Just the songs.
  • Keep it simple. Different levels of the players.
  • More acustic instruments. Acoustic bass guitar, acoustic guitar. I can't have an acoustic piano in the woodshed. Trying to get rid of the high volume rock. Reduce the amps. Just the vocals through the PA.
  • Rhythm section; drums, bass, guitar/keys on every meeting? No money in this project. On the other side, who is driving 4 miles (swedish) for playing for free when the fuel 20.00 kr -25,00 s e k /liter?
  • No more sheet music. I'm afraid that will narrow down the amount of musicians but the sheet music and the note stands use to take the joy out of blues and rock!?!?!?!
  • Songlist: - "Bring it Back" (J.J.Cale), - "No Particular Place To Go" (C.Berry), -"Stand By Me" (John Lennon version), -"Midnight Hour Blues" (Elvin Bishops version), "Killing Floor" (Howlin' Wolf version), -"Never Make A Move Too Soon" (B.B. King & The Crusaders version), -"Midnight In Memphis" (J.J. Cale), - "Ramrod" (Weinberg version) ..... and the rest is going to be more like a jam. The song list is going to be replaced on every meeting. Most of us have been playing these songs before.

I'm going to restart our rural Blues & Rock project. June 2018 was the last time. Since then lots of things changed. Use to be 15-18 musicians, on differnt level, that played in the collective (not at the same time). We are not so many players left. Just 4-5. I think it's a good way to "keep the music party going on". Not so much about "what" and "how" ... more "just play and have fun". What would you like to have if you go to a Blues & Rock meetting/jam? Some things to consider.
  • Use to have a songlist of 6-10 songs that I send out in advance. Just so we know what to start with.
  • This time I'm not going to give them the keys in advance. Just the songs.
  • Keep it simple. Different levels of the players.
  • More acustic instruments. Acoustic bass guitar, acoustic guitar. I can't have an acoustic piano in the woodshed. Trying to get rid of the high volume rock. Reduce the amps. Just the vocals through the PA.
  • Rhythm section; drums, bass, guitar/keys on every meeting? No money in this project. On the other side, who is driving 4 miles (swedish) for playing for free when the fuel 20.00 kr -25,00 s e k /liter?
  • No more sheet music. I'm afraid that will narrow down the amount of musicians but the sheet music and the note stands use to take the joy out of blues and rock!?!?!?!
  • Songlist: - "Bring it Back" (J.J.Cale), - "No Particular Place To Go" (C.Berry), -"Stand By Me" (John Lennon version), -"Midnight Hour Blues" (Elvin Bishops version), "Killing Floor" (Howlin' Wolf version), -"Never Make A Move Too Soon" (B.B. King & The Crusaders version), -"Midnight In Memphis" (J.J. Cale), - "Ramrod" (Weinberg version) ..... and the rest is going to be more like a jam. The song list is going to be replaced on every meeting. Most of us have been playing these songs before.
I would dearly love to participate however I am on the other side of the Irish Sea..hope all goes well when you get together.

Thank you for pointing this out. for me it's problem that a drummer want money for petrol or diesel and for drumming as well. A saxplayer used to travel from greater Copenhagen to play with us. No money and no food. Just coffee. A car ride for c 240 km (round trip). Have horn will travel! Maybe you can drive down from Trondheim to Skåne for some earty playing;)?

I'm going to have a drum teacher to come out and instruct basic blues and rock & roll drums the way we want the drums to play and sound. Already 2-3 that can play drums but I want blues and rock & roll drums. Not jazz, metal ..... . A more rural standard ..... . My daughter is a good woodshed drummer, but she can't play so often.

Maybe you can drive down from Trondheim to Skåne
This week i drove with a mate to pick up a cymbalom, just outside Oslo... More than enough driving for me! But, who knows. I hear South Sweden is a riot these days :D

I would dearly love to participate however I am on the other side of the Irish Sea..hope all goes well when you get together.
Thank you. I started the Rock & Blues project so musicians could get togheter and play in new groups. It worked but younger musicians were hard to find. I think it's even harder nowadays?

May I hijack your thread for a moment please? I seem to have scored a gig in Oslo in a couple of months time. Can I ask any of you folks from Scandinavia if you know any repair techs in that area?

There’s me and a bari player and we’re flying so I’m a bit twitchy and I’m always happier, borderline superstitious, about knowing contact info for a repairer when ever I’ve got a gig of this sort

I don't know anyone in Oslo; players or repair.
If no better option arises, I could phone one of the tec guys here in Trondheim and ask if he knows someone... Whether that would produce anything better than Google, I don't know. Let me know if you want that. No problem.

I don't know anyone in Oslo; players or repair.
If no better option arises, I could phone one of the tec guys here in Trondheim and ask if he knows someone... Whether that would produce anything better than Google, I don't know. Let me know if you want that. No problem.
Many thanks- if it gets nearer the time I might contact you re that

I have nothing helpful to add, but is this an Urban Voodoo Machine gig?
(have friends in Oslo as used to work there)

You can drive via E18 to Uffes Blås In Deje, Värmland, Sweden. But wait a minute, UK and NO no EU countries .... can be tricky.

@Jules FWIW - I've put a call out via a mate here who's much better connected than me. I'll post up any results.

Last edited:
Back to topic. Another fun concept and format is Pubrock. It's rather popular here in Sweden.

Back to topic. Another fun concept and format is Pubrock. It's rather popular here in Sweden.
Pub rock is an odd one- I'm never quite sure what defines it. Ok- you know it when you hear it but where R&B / punk / country rock stop and pub rock starts is a bit of mystery..

Billy Bremner( Rockpile ex guitarist): Rock that is played in smaller places. No particular style or sound. Blues, R&B and older Rock & Roll like Chuck Berry. Larry Williams, Little Richard ....... . Up-tempo/high energy fun music (no deep lyrics). In the late 70's I listeed to bands like Rockpile, Dr Feelgood, Nick Lowe, Graham Parker, Ian Dury and of course the goodfather of pubrock Mickey Jupp. Even CCR, Springsteen ... songs can be played. Guitar, tenorsax, bass and drums is a good line for pubrock.

Lots of the music was american rock that UK made famous. Like Larry Williams "Looking Back" ( that Dr Feelgood played) and "Slow Down" (sax maybe Plas Johnson, he recorded for Specialty label).

View: https://youtu.be/nIzSo7FISDw

View: https://youtu.be/VqzTvJ00xJk

Well, unless you amplify the acoustic bass guitar you can't hear it. You can't even hear it with two steel string guitars strumming. And once you amplify it, you might as well just have a Fender bass. Best would be double bass, but players aren't real common. But that would get you the feel you're looking for. ABG doesn't really sound all that much like upright. There's a good reason why, on stages worldwide, you see upright basses, you see solid body electrics, but you see the ABG only rarely.

Of course, aucustic bass guitar is not the first option for pubrock. This is just a sample how you can use your sax in rock music. And at small places like a pub or kafé I also hade a small active monitor/speaker behind me, Not always, a tenor sax with a set-up that cut through was enough. Just the vocal via PA at smaller places.