support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Responsible Social Distancing

David Dorning

Locality
Chichester, UK
We had a drink and chat with our neighbours tonight.
E80A486A-3067-4794-929B-7B5C6381A656.jpeg

We did with ours, first via WhatsApp then houseparty with a few more.

No need to feel isolated even if you are physically..

Jx

We'll be doing our fourth dinner/wine tasting with friends tomorrow night. I made a few changes here to make that work better, such as a camera that is not attached to the laptop which makes it easier to see us both without crowding in.

Didn't have all this 'responsible social distancing' in tht good old days.
Imagine if they'd thought of it in 1917 at the first signs of 'Spanish Flu'.
They'd have had to keep people safe by stopping the war.

Didn't have all this 'responsible social distancing' in tht good old days.
Imagine if they'd thought of it in 1917 at the first signs of 'Spanish Flu'.
They'd have had to keep people safe by stopping the war.
Well it is a good thing that we have it now @Targa Social distancing, that is. It is a very good thing.

Well it is a good thing that we have it now @Targa Social distancing, that is. It is a very good thing.

Will we ever go back to the old "normal" ?

Interesting to read the short story "The Machine Stops" written by EM Forster in 1909: The Machine Stops - Wikipedia

The story describes a world in which most of the human population has lost the ability to live on the surface of the Earth. Each individual now lives in isolation below ground in a standard room, with all bodily and spiritual needs met by the omnipotent, global Machine. Travel is permitted, but is unpopular and rarely necessary. Communication is made via a kind of instant messaging/video conferencing machine with which people conduct their only activity: the sharing of ideas and what passes for knowledge.

Rhys

Will we ever go back to the old "normal" ?

Interesting to read the short story "The Machine Stops" written by EM Forster in 1909: The Machine Stops - Wikipedia

The story describes a world in which most of the human population has lost the ability to live on the surface of the Earth. Each individual now lives in isolation below ground in a standard room, with all bodily and spiritual needs met by the omnipotent, global Machine. Travel is permitted, but is unpopular and rarely necessary. Communication is made via a kind of instant messaging/video conferencing machine with which people conduct their only activity: the sharing of ideas and what passes for knowledge.

Rhys
I have thought about various scenarios like this for the last few years. It is surreal to see this unfolding in reality, in my own life time. I am not sure that life can ever go back to the unconscious way that we lived before this point in time.

I have thought about various scenarios like this for the last few years. It is surreal to see this unfolding in reality, in my own life time. I am not sure that life can ever go back to the unconscious way that we lived before this point in time.

It's sobering to think how different the experience must be at the moment in the less developed world compared with the relatively rich nations.

I'm sure it will change our culture in lots of way, including how we interact with other people and the world of work, but I wonder what historians will make of our response to the crisis.

Rhys

I've always tried to keep as much of a social distance as possible from people.
At least for now this has put a stop to all the pretentious 'continental' kissing on meeting someone and the even worse 'hugging' between men. Fortunately no one has ever tried to do that to me or they would get a 'knee jerk' reaction.

I like to tell people that I am not "unsocial", just "non-social". ;) I have never been comfortable in large gatherings or crowds. Communicating with folks thousands of miles away over the internet rather than face to face was invented for people like me. If you're wondering how someone like myself could have survived being at the front of classrooms filled with students for 32 years, it is because that wasn't me. I was playing a role I was trained to do.

I have never been comfortable in large gatherings or crowds.
Me neither. I think a lot of musicians/performers are like this. We've heard about many comedians being awkward in company. My 'larger self' on stage at pop concerts was learned over the years and is certainly not me in social gatherings.

I like to tell people that I am not "unsocial", just "non-social". ;) I have never been comfortable in large gatherings or crowds. Communicating with folks thousands of miles away over the internet rather than face to face was invented for people like me. If you're wondering how someone like myself could have survived being at the front of classrooms filled with students for 32 years, it is because that wasn't me. I was playing a role I was trained to do.
You just described me only I never sat at the front of the classroom. I sat as far away as a possibly could. Crowds of people was something I couldn’t handle yet I loved going to concerts and went to hundreds and played and sang in front of hundreds of people. If necessarily I could do public speaking very successfully. When I try and rationalize all of that, it makes no sense at all. It’s like I go on autopilot somehow. When I was younger I had lots of friends too.

Now that I’m older I prefer to be alone so the social distancing doesn’t bother me at all however that’s not to say that I’m unconcerned about my fellow man. What’s happened in the world right now is horrible for ALL concerned.

When I re-read my earlier post, it seemed to lack empathy for others which I actually have in spades. Oddly enough where I live, most people are being exceptionally nice to each other which I find comforting & refreshing.

I find nothing odd about these things being said in a forum people often visit daily while the rest of the world is either partying on the beach or checking Instagram to see how many likes they got for their photo of breakfast. Musicians have a good way to express themselves. It's only unfortunate that our contact with the public (there's that term again) is curtailed by the current threat of serious malady. I hate going to bars, but a few weeks ago, I finally made up my mind I was going to go play in the weekly jams sessions at my friend's restaurant to make contacts, have fun and improve. All restaurants are closed here, so I made up my mind too late.

Traditionally, Brits are not meant to be too good at 'touchy-feely' type stuff. Whilst, some of that is a stereotype, it's not entirely. I could go into a long back-story, but won't (if you want to know more, you can always message me here or via other media). To some that know me, it will be a surprise that I don't feel comfortable in large gatherings of people, especially where I know few people. I can quite happily stand in front of a group of people and address them - I've been doing that since I was a teenager - whether an astronomical society, choir, orchestra, or work. Stick me in a social gathering though and I'm not brilliant.
I've lived on my own since I left home 35 years ago. It's only in recent years that I've become more sociable with people, and yes, I do hugs if appropriate. :hug:

I've noticed that you keep the other 7 away by waving the pointy stick you call a baton :p

I've always tried to keep as much of a social distance as possible from people.
At least for now this has put a stop to all the pretentious 'continental' kissing on meeting someone and the even worse 'hugging' between men. Fortunately no one has ever tried to do that to me or they would get a 'knee jerk' reaction.
Mmmmmm... I found this old meme which I think fits you to a "T" :) Please excuse the grammar!
i-must-go-my-planet-needs-me.png

It's sobering to think how different the experience must be at the moment in the less developed world compared with the relatively rich nations.

I'm sure it will change our culture in lots of way, including how we interact with other people and the world of work, but I wonder what historians will make of our response to the crisis.

Rhys
I can assure you it’s no different. 80% of people who adhere to the rules of social distancing and isolation irrespective of class and 19% of dickheads who believe they are either immortal or couldn’t give a toss about what happens to the less fortunate be it in health or wealth. And 1% who seem to be blissfully unaware of everything that’s going on.

Back
Top Bottom