All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

residential courses

jeremyjuicewah

Good morning everybody, hope all is as well for you as it is with me. Last year it seems to me there was a lot of info on residential courses. Cant find much at all now. In touch with Julie at flutesenvacance and her oppo Nick de zamzammusic, and think they have something of interest for me, but does anyone have the definitive diary of courses for sax veggies for 2013? Would be a shame to miss out this year since, inexplicably (so far) I have been given consent for a selfish absence of one week by the other half.
Best wishes
Mike

jeremyjuicewah

Hi profusia. I have read the Wessex splurge and it looks really good to me, not least the 100-00 quid cost. I think thats amazing. Also, I am a bit of a camper type, nothing like putting yesterdays socks on cos you ate the clean ones for supper the night before. Prob for me is hauling camping gear and a tenor sax on an airoplane, might be out of the question but maybe I can borrow stuff from an Englander. I will look at it sensibly. flutesenvacance are running a course 22 to 29 Aug in Andalucia, near Jaen. Dont know cost but logistically its a better bet for me. For infor on that, go to flutesenvacance and contact Julie, I dont think its on their website yet, but I have that one in mind. Also they are doing Carcassone, Cerny Vul near Prague and uk courses, but a lot of them are only two or three days.Thanks for the info,
Mike

Profusia

Thanks Mike, I've dropped flutes en vacances a line re their Spanish course. Looks interesting.

Still wondering what a sax veggie is though ;}

jeremyjuicewah

Dont know if it was used widely but in my set, one million years BC, a veggie of any kind was somebody absorbed in something, anything; music, chess, movies, to the point where he or she became utter vegetable matter, uninterested and unmoved by much else. Actually, often all you had to do was express a general interest in something and you would be abused as a whateverithappenedtobe veggie.
Mike

Profusia

Ah I see - I don't recall coming across that one. Being an actual vegetarian myself I thought I'd better check. And by a weird coincidence it turns out that the flutes en vacances major mainly on vegetarian food on their courses or so Julie suggested.

The Spanish course is looking expensive especially if I wanted to take my partner and bearing in mind getting flights with a decent airline that will definitely allow a tenor on board in hand luggage. So I'm thinking of maybe trying one of their UK courses first.

Pyrografix

Senile Member
I can recommend the Harrogate Summer School if you want to venture that far north - not sure of the dates for this year but its around the third week in August. Wall to wall sax playing from Sunday through to Thursday under the watchful eyes of Rob Buckland and Andy Scott ........

Are you a member of CASS? The quarterly magazine has details of many courses throughout the country.

Ivan

Undecided
Subscriber
Not the easiest website to use for finding events

I've just tried taken a look but you have to choose region of UK and month rather than a readable spreadsheet that you can just glance over

Very user unfriendly unless you have a spare half-hour to go through all the possible permutations of month and region.... bah humbug

Pyrografix

Senile Member
Not the easiest website to use for finding events
Never used the website, but the magazine covers all areas with a forward plan to the end of the year.......... worth joining! And some of the courses offer a discount for CASS members.

Profusia

Update: I've booked for Flutes En Vacances 3 day course in Witney towards the end of this month. Will report back how it goes.

PS Thanks to Mike for putting me on to them.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeremyjuicewah

Hi, missed a few days here. Thanks for that additional info Sue, and I will look forward to hearing about the Witney do Profusia. I am looking towards summer so I will try and book something in the next four weeks. The Andalucia course seems a little sparse at six people, and as you say, a little dear, but it would be the easiest for me so I will think it through. Liked the Harrogate option, but will have a good think.
Cheers all.

Profusia

Hi, missed a few days here. Thanks for that additional info Sue, and I will look forward to hearing about the Witney do Profusia. I am looking towards summer so I will try and book something in the next four weeks. The Andalucia course seems a little sparse at six people, and as you say, a little dear, but it would be the easiest for me so I will think it through. Liked the Harrogate option, but will have a good think.
Cheers all.
Well Spain looked expensive for me but mainly because of getting there with tenor, and the high cost of accommodation for my better half. As a course I thought it was similar value to many of the UK offerings but with the added advantage of being somewhere warm and sunny.

I look at "sparse" as intense (in a good way) :)

Wessex looks highly tempting and great value but intense in a different and scary way with hundreds of youngsters likely to be blowing me out of the water and making me feel like the oldest swinger in town!

jeremyjuicewah

Ok I am about to book on the Benslow music summer saxes course. I like the jazz and rock inclusion and the dates will allow me to double up the trip with some tiresome business that must be sorted, so flights can be thought of as free. Thanks Sue, let you know how it goes, but its not till June.
Mike

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
I'm pleased you found one to suit. I haven't been to Benslow but have heard good things about it and also that Gerard McChrystal is a real hoot. I look forward to hearing about your experience. :) Enjoy

TakeTwo

I've just come back from the Benslow Spring Saxes course.

Lots of music, lots of playing, lots of laughs...

It was brilliant!

An added bonus was that after every 90 minutes of sax playing someone handed me a piece of cake and a cup of coffee or a meal. Bliss!

P.S Don't forget your bonjela!

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom