support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Recording Request for hints for mic'ing and EQ for recording sax in a very dead room

AndyB

My living room/practice room is far from idea for recording. It has upholstered furniture, carpet and drapery that seems to soak up all of the high end. I use an Audio-Technica AT2035 large diaphragm microphone. I had the same experience trying to record acoustic guitar but I found some recordings instruction online that said that the non-ideal room requires a lot more skill in microphone placement and EQ. Mic'ing extremely closely seems to be required for acoustic guitar along with restoring the upper midrange using EQ in my Cubase DAW. It took months to get satisfactory results for my acoustic guitar. Any suggestions for helping me tackle this problem for sax would be greatly appreciated - esp. EQ hints. -Andy

Ideally most recordings are happening in a "dead room" That's what you find in a lot of studios. The trick is to add the reverb and/or delay. This can be done through your editing program. EQ is a matter of need based on what you hear. That will be a combination of which sax (you didn't specify soprano, alto, etc.), how "bright" your mouthpiece is, how you play, placement of the microphone, etc., and especially what you want to hear.

Generally with just one microphone you want it around 12 to 20 inches away and pointing at the G key (middle of the sax). Do not make the mistake of facing into the bell as when you hit any of the low notes it will "boom".

The trick is that you're recording the sax, not the room, and can then manipulate it so that it sounds like you're in whatever sort of space/environment you want. EQ doesn't give you that, it just lowers and boosts specific frequencies (as you may require...based on YOUR wishes).

When recording with a backing track or "file sharing" then you should ideally try to match the "ambience/reverb/delay" in the backing so that it sounds like you're all playing on the same stage. Takes a bit of playing around, but certainly not rocket science!

Generally with just one microphone you want it around 12 to 20 inches away and pointing at the G key (middle of the sax). Do not make the mistake of facing into the bell as when you hit any of the low notes it will "boom".

I have my mic angled down at 45 degrees and hanging over my orchestra stand. That may be about 36 inches away and too far away as per your experience. May be I need to mic my horn closer with the boom coming from the side instead of down. Thanks.

I did learn that I was getting nowhere without a decent external preamplifier. Now I am using a Behringer Tube Ultragain MIC100 Audiophile Vacuum Tube Preamplifier. That lets me dial in the signal levels very accurately. Before that I was finding that just an inch or two mic placement totally changed the levels and I could never get my mic level right. Even sitting down in a slightly different position changed my levels. Live and learn.

Could you post an example?
I cannot imagine an AT 2035 lacks in high frequencies.
What's your interface?

Cheers, Guenne
My room seems like a high-frequency sponge. It really is dramatic. It was even worse with acoustic guitar than the alto sax.
I have been using a Zoom R8 digital recorder with a Behringer tube preamp. But I want to try my Behringer UMC404 interface next.

I wouldn't change the equipment. I'd move closer to the mic to record less room.
I'm not that familiar with the AT, but I have a Sony C100 condenser - and I'm about 25cm away from the sax. 45 degrees down is too much in my opinion, but of course you have to experiment. Mic is pointing towards left pinkies. I also have an EV RE20, I can go even significantly closer with that one.

Cheers, Guenne

My room seems like a high-frequency sponge. It really is dramatic. It was even worse with acoustic guitar than the alto sax.
I have been using a Zoom R8 digital recorder with a Behringer tube preamp. But I want to try my Behringer UMC404 interface next.

Play to fill the room, but move the mic closer. One problem that many encounter is that the closer the mic, the less sound they produce.

Support Cafesaxophone

Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces
Back
Top Bottom