support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Repaired mouthpiece but......

saxmad

I've repaired an alto mouthpiece that had previously been dropped and had the tip chipped. My question is do I spray the repaired tip with a black gloss car repair cellulose spray?
Advice please.

Only if it has a label saying it's edible.

What did you use to repair the chip? Is that safe for human consumption?

Water weld is a cold cure epoxy putty that has been passed for use on domestic water pipes. Sticks well and is very tough when cured.

Im not a chemical expert but the word I get from those who know them better than I suggest that the dangerous chemicals in epoxy gas out when it cures. The no's are in response to paint. A repaired piece doesnt look like new but they can still play.

Sorry for the delay in replying - two photos of the repair. Should I use a permanent black marker pen to darken the white filler?

Attachments

• IMG_2686.jpg
    IMG_2686.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_2687.jpg
    IMG_2687.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 263
I've done a very similar repair but used black (lamp black) pigment in the epoxy. It's totally invisible no matter how closely one looks. Possibly some years down the track it will show as the HR discolors towards brown? The epoxy is totally inert after curing, but if "nervous" I guess you could wax the mouthpiece as a "barrier".

@saxmad Thanks for the photos. You have done very nice work filling and finishing the missing areas. What compound did you use? Ferree's products sells a black 2 part epoxy called "Jet Magic" that works quite well in these applications. It would probably not be available in your country due to restrictions on shipping chemicals.

I had the same situation. Used it as an excuse to buy a new hard rubber one that my woodwinds instructor made. I even got permission from my wife with the condition that I didn't tell her how much I paid for it. Sounded good to me so I went for it before she changed her mind!
MPC Damage 1.jpg
MPC Damage 2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom