Repair

Band4

A friend of mine sent a soprano sax to a place called repairmyinstrument.com
the service was excellent and the repair was better than any I have seen

pknight11

Interesting concept for those without a tech they like nearby. A quick check shows that this is in the same location as Flint Hills Music, which seems to be a typical music store with student rentals, lessons, etc., as well as repairs. Their (Flint Hills Music) site says they have been around since 1996. There is a state university in Emporia (creatively named Emporia State University), and it would be interesting to see if any of the music faculty there use these repair services.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
This isn't that new of an idea, many techs with an internet presence actually do work on shipped horns from owners, along with their walk-in clientele.
I have been doing this for a few years, although granted it makes up perhaps 5% of my work.
Techs seem to be a dying breed, and as you say,,,, in many places here in US, there is not one available within a 2-hour drive....

saxyjt

Techs seem to be a dying breed, and as you say,,,, in many places here in US, there is not one available within a 2-hour drive....
It's a big country! :eek:

In many places here in Europe, if you drive 2 hours, you're in another country... And they speak a different language.

That doesn't mean we have more saxophone techs than you do... :confused2:

DavidUK

My newly polished Grassi was sent back to me from the polishers in its (horrid!) Berkeley case.

It arrived with 17 new dents in the body!

Fortunately Matt at Connolly-MIR (now Sheward-MIR) removed all invisibly for £30.

As the OP is a newbie here, I'd want to see more reviews of repairmyinstrument.com before entrusting my sax to them.

JayeNM

Formerly JayePDX
What percentage of the repair work is fixing what got broken in transit?
Very good point...THAT would be the main danger of running a .com instrument repair place...inevitably some things would get damaged during shipping, one way or the other....

And I mean inevitably...regardless of how well the horn is packed.

In many places here in Europe, if you drive 2 hours, you're in another country... And they speak a different language.
Americans would be a far more balanced and healthier lot if we lived in a context where a 2-hour drive puts you in a different culture.

Too bad it isn't that way....

I never meant to imply that Eu has more conveniently available techs than US......as I said....dying breed.....

Last edited:

Targa

Among the pigeons
Subscriber

In the UK if people drive two hours they can end up in the sea mainly because of their blind stupidity when using a satnav.

jbtsax

old and opinionated
Subscriber
They may be everything they claim on that website. However there is this statement that raises a red flag for me:

"All of our technicians are either Certified Band Instrument Repair Technicians, or seasoned repair workers who have spent many years learning, practicing, and perfecting their trade."

There is no "certification" program for band instrument repair technicians in the U.S. Sometimes people will mistakenly believe being a member of NAPBIRT means a tech is "certified". I checked and there are currently no NAPBIRT members in Kansas who list that store as their place of business. This should not be interpreted to mean that there are not techs who are highly qualified who do not belong to NAPBIRT, but many of those in that class choose to be a member of and support their national association.

pknight11

They may be everything they claim on that website. However there is this statement that raises a red flag for me:

"All of our technicians are either Certified Band Instrument Repair Technicians, or seasoned repair workers who have spent many years learning, practicing, and perfecting their trade."

There is no "certification" program for band instrument repair technicians in the U.S. Sometimes people will mistakenly believe being a member of NAPBIRT means a tech is "certified". I checked and there are currently no NAPBIRT members in Kansas who list that store as their place of business. This should not be interpreted to mean that there are not techs who are highly qualified who do not belong to NAPBIRT, but many of those in that class choose to be a member of and support their national association.
I have lived near Emporia (about 1.5 hours away) for 40 years, and have never heard of this store before, but there is no real reason why I would have. I do know that some of the music professors at the university where I work take their personal instruments to Wichita Band, which is about an hour further, even though the music department here has a full-time tech for school-owned instruments. That's why I was wondering if ESU faculty used these repair services. If so, that would be a good sign (aside from the aforementioned shipping damage issues).

Top Bottom