support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Sheet Music Rehearsal d'oh moment....

Tenor Viol

Full of frets in Cumbria
Café Supporter
Locality
Penrith, Cumbria, UK
I play in a community orchestra on Monday evenings and we have a concert on Saturday. I ply cello in this orchestra and one of the works is a medley from Gershiwn's Lady be Good (tricky) and another is the suite from Peer Gynt. I've had problems with 'In the Hall of the Mountain King' with not understanding why towards the end I inevitably end up wrong and have to correct myself.

My suspicion has always been the editor's penchant for using that dreaded 'repeat previous bar' notation using a solidus and two dots. In the last half it is used a lot, often for 2 or 3 bars, precisely where the music gets more complex and faster...

Anyway I carefully added a count over the offending bars thinking 'aha, fixed it'... and I was still 2 bars adrift...

I happened to look closely at my copy and realised what the issue was... a printing error. Two places had a bar with the 'repeat previous' marking... but looking closer, there was a bar line going through the repeat previous symbol... Instead of two symbols, one in each bar, it had been printed straddling the bar line and the bar line was not readily visible from playing position. At least I now know why I was always 2 bars out - it wasn't my counting...

Let's hope I get it right in the concert.

As an aside, the only reason for using that stupid notation is to save paper. Other movements are split over a page, so I don't understand why this one isn't. There's about 20 bars of it in the movement - it's not used anywhere else in the 4 or 5 pages of music.

The Gershwin is much more complex. My main criticism of it is there is an horrendous page turn...

As an aside, the only reason for using that stupid notation is to save paper
Maybe musescore should have an "expand repeats" function to get rid of them, D.S. al Codas etc. and make one long pdf for tables.

Maybe musescore should have an "expand repeats" function to get rid of them, D.S. al Codas etc. and make one long pdf for tables.
The part is from a printed orchestral set

Our orchestra is playing the Saint-Saens Cello concerto and the score uses that “repeat previous bar” notation to mean that the second bassoon plays the same as the first. This saves no paper at all, and was rather confusing the first time I saw it. The score also uses the symbol for a crotchet rest that looks like a quaver rest the other way round, just to keep us on our toes.

Our orchestra is playing the Saint-Saens Cello concerto and the score uses that “repeat previous bar” notation to mean that the second bassoon plays the same as the first. This saves no paper at all, and was rather confusing the first time I saw it. The score also uses the symbol for a crotchet rest that looks like a quaver rest the other way round, just to keep us on our toes.
Oh the old notation system - I hate that. The old Novello vocal scores use that. Fortunately, most of the common works are now in New Novello editions, which don't do that.

Yeah, I don't get the 'repeat previous' notation at all. You still have say 4 bars - one with notes in and three weird ones...