All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
SYOS

Reface or buy new/vintage

Ben Cain

Hi,
I play a Link NY 6* tenor mpc but find the sound 'stuffy' and lacking the benwebsteresque feel that in my mind i am after. I have read great things about Morgan Frys floridating a link or do I just try out many mpc until I hit on the model that suits my minds ear for now? I am looking for a warm sound that has the potential to blow loud when the need takes. My teacher plays a Larsen Duckbill (1960s model I think - need to check) and his warmth and power. I know, before you all say it.... it is the player an dpractice not the gear that makes the difference but even I sound nearer to the sound I am after playing his mpc. Confused.
Any ideas?
Ben

jonf

Actually, Ben, you don't sound all that confused to me. You're right about the player, but also that having the kit which helps you achieve the sound in your head is a big step forward.

I'd suggest you do one of two things. Either:

1 Go to sax.co.uk and play every mouthpiece in the shop, and select the one you really like, or

2 Give Morgan a ring and talk through your current piece, what he can do for you and what he recommends.

Option 2 is likely to be the cheapest option, and should have a good likelihood of you finding the sound you want. You have a decent mouthpiece to work on, and if you send it to Morgan (or any other quality mouthpiece guy) they should be able to help. Just stick with your tonal concepts as a goal, rather than aiming for some mythical holy grail of a Florida Link.

For what it's worth, I have some very pricey mouthpieces (RPC, LAW Buzzer, Lawtons) but my favourite peice is a modified old, knackered-looking but superb playing Otto Link Super Tonemaster. Big tip (it's a 10), big baffle, tweaked rails and table, it's easy to blow and can whisper or roar. But it mostly roars. It wouldn't suit everyone, but it suits me. If you get your tonal concept across to a guy like Morgan, you should be able to get something which equally suits you.

Jon

rhysonsax

Morgan has just refaced my old tenor Otto Link Super Tonemaster that used to be a 5 tip opening and is now just smaller than 7*. This mouthpiece dates from late 70s or very early 80s and Morgan didn't have to do much "Floridating" on it because the internal shape was already pretty good.

He has done a lovely job and it now plays very well and sounds just like a metal Link should.

I agree with what Jon said above about giving Morgan a call.

Rhys

Fraser Jarvis

I to recently bought a link (9*) i found it very stuffy and quiet, after Morgan did the floridation work it is much brighter, and livelier, i highly reconmend you get him to do it.

Sunray

Stop Thief ... [lmao] ...

Hi,
I play a Link NY 6* tenor mpc but find the sound 'stuffy' and lacking the benwebsteresque feel that in my mind i am after. I have read great things about Morgan Frys floridating a link or do I just try out many mpc until I hit on the model that suits my minds ear for now? I am looking for a warm sound that has the potential to blow loud when the need takes. My teacher plays a Larsen Duckbill (1960s model I think - need to check) and his warmth and power. I know, before you all say it.... it is the player and practice not the gear that makes the difference but even I sound nearer to the sound I am after playing his mpc. Confused.
Any ideas?
Ben
Hey Hey mate ...

Jonf missed out the third option ... [you know the one] ... :w00t:

Nick your tutors mouthpiece ... you know you wanna >:)

But seriously - Why not get a Larsen Duckbill (1960s model) you seem to know it well enough and it's getting you where you wanna be ... ;}

Ben Cain

Thanks fellow blowers for all of your suggestions. I'd love to nick my teachers mpc but I couldn't deny a sax player his most beloved mpc. I thought about buying a larsen but also have a wife to consider who will only alow my gas so much air time (lol) I will phone Morgan and ask for his help.
Thanks again
Ben

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Pete had a Floridated link on test. Maybe he'll give us some feedback... I wonder if it's better than the PPT and that's why he's said so little?>:)

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Some of the models of Otto Link were made in Florida and are known as Florida links, there are a few versions. They're scarce now, and rather expensive, but play well and sound great. The modern ones aren't as good. Morgan takes a modern link and modifies it to make it sound/play like the Florida links. Check Morgan's web site for more details:

www.morganfrymouthpieces.com

Lots of info on the different Link models in Theo Wanne's site.

Last edited:

bariandyf

Hi
I play one of Morgan Fry's Floridated STM's and it's fantastic. Morgan also refaced a modern NY STM for me a while ago and that plays superbly now. It's definately worth a call, even if you just get your piece refaced it's bound to be better after than before.

Saxholder Pro

Members online

Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom