All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians
Tutorials

Saxophones Ref 54

jonf

It's about half the new price. Stephen Howard was distinctly underwhelmed when he reviewed one - http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Alto/Selmer_Ref54_alto.htm

Might be an OK price, but it all really boils down to whether you buy into the legend of the Selmer MkVI, which is what they're trading on with this sax. Personally, I don't, and when I played a couple of Selmers a few years ago I was a bit disappointed in them They just didn't feel special enough to justify the very high price tag.

Others will no doubt have a different opinion.

Fraser Jarvis

Thing with the Reference series, as with all modern Selmer's theres good one's and theres bad one's, sometimes very bad one's! if you try it and it turns out to play well at £2000 it is a good buy....on the other hand if for any reason you ain't happy walk away, or it could end up a costly mistake! whatever you do dont just buy it cuz it's a Selmer without playing it.

Saxdiva

Older, wiser, should know better....
You need more information. What condition is it in (does it have any dngs or other damage) does it need work doing to it - if it's been used a lot or if it hasn't been played in a while you may need replacement parts and a service.

Have a good look at it and play it if you can.

Then it's all about personal preference.

alto andy

Cheers for all your comments . My sax teacher is friends with the guy who is selling it and says it is like new condition . I was thinking about buying the tj raw or p mauriat swing something with a hint to the old sound of the 1940 era . I know it's more about how you play it but I do seem to like the sound of the vintage look sax .

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Subscriber
Try it. If it plays well, it's a good price. The ref 36 may be more what you're looking for. I much prefer the SBA sound over the MkVI.

aldevis

Surrealist Contributor.
Cafe Moderator
Cheers for all your comments . My sax teacher is friends with the guy who is selling it and says it is like new condition . I was thinking about buying the tj raw or p mauriat swing something with a hint to the old sound of the 1940 era . I know it's more about how you play it but I do seem to like the sound of the vintage look sax .
With a £2000 budget, there are many excellent horns you can get, including my endorsée's

Try the 54, you will know if it is true love.

Saxdiva

Older, wiser, should know better....
I have Mauriat 66R tenor and it has a fantastic vintage sound. I tried the TJ raw when I was buying but preferred the Mauriat. It's all personal taste. I'd say the ref54 sounds like a great deal given what you've been told, but if it isn't what you ultimately want you'll find a bargain on one of the others if you're happy to wait.

I got a great deal on mine. It was a new horn reduced from £2800 to £1800 because Mauriat had stamped an A for alto instead of T for tenor in 2mm high letters in the model number at the back of the bell. Sax.co.uk often have similar deals as large distributors for lots of manufacturers. Their Mauriats are very competitively priced.

Enjoy deciding!

Sue

If at first you don't succeed try try try a Gin
Subscriber
I have a Ref 54 alto and I absolutely love it. Not because it's a Selmer just because I like the sound I get with, the ergonomics of it and yes I like the matt finish too. It plays easier than any other sax I've had. Before this I had a Yani A992 which I also loved and then I was given the opportunity to try this one and that was it - I had to have it.

I have a Mauriat 67RUL too and I also love to play it occasionally but I don't get the same response as I do from the 54.

Try it and you'll know if it's for you but £2000 is a snip if it suits you. Good luck in your quest and go with what you like not brands or reputation.

Fraser Jarvis

I have a Ref 54 alto and I absolutely love it. Not because it's a Selmer just because I like the sound I get

Thats why i like mine, not out of some misguided Selmer snobbery but because it does what i want, the way i want it to. Which brings me to ask if your spending that kind of dosh try a king super 20, vintage sax but with modern ergos + a massive sound, don't think you'll be disappointed!

rhysonsax

Try it. If it plays well, it's a good price. The ref 36 may be more what you're looking for. I much prefer the SBA sound over the MkVI.
But this is an alto and the Ref 36 is only tenor, isn't it ?

I really liked the Ref 54 alto that I tried and think this is a very good price for one.

Rhys

alto andy

I get to have a go with it next weekend my sax teacher has arranged to bring it to my next lesson . Has anyone got a link to someone playing the ref 54 with the matt finish :) . Cheers for all your messages .

alto andy

In the way that a good sax player would make anything sound good I know what your saying I'm just like a kid in a sweet shop I'm sure we have all been there lol I will just have to wait for next weekend :) .

Tanny

A while back before the massive price increases I bought a Ref54. In the shop, I tried a whole range of saxes more or less blind and to person listening and from perspective it came down to the Keilwerth Shadow or the Ref54. I went for the Ref54 and I have to say that over the 5 years I have had it that it has got better in sound but that is very much because I am improving too. My teacher says that I have a good sound too (I just can't play very fast) . Ergonomics are a bit weird with the LH palm keys being too close to the body for my liking (but I have corrected this with Sugru). At £2000, this is a very good deal but for that price you could almost buy a BW alto, tenor and sop. I can't describe it but it definitely has a distinctive Selmer sound but these things are subtle. If you can play it and you like it then go for it.

gladsaxisme

Try Hard Die Hard
Subscriber
I have a ref 54 love the tone and the action but some what disappointed in the spotting under the lacquer here and there and around the engraving for a sax of this supposed quality and heavy price tag it should be better,but having said that there are other top names that can show similar problems ......John

Saxholder Pro
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom