All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Reeds reeds

kefus

hi all , thinking about changing reeds,need a bit of advice,at moment using rico 1and a half alto sax reeds any suggestions what to move onto next thanks been playiing since january thanks.

kefus

hi dont know what else to say just says 1and a half rico on the box dont know what the mouthpiece is.

Jeanette

Organizress
Cafe Moderator
Locality
Cheshire UK
Did you get the mouthpiece with the sax, what sax is it?

kefus

yes orange box, mouthpiece came with sax,it is a gear 4music sax was bought for me for xmas was going to move up to a better model if i got away with it ok.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
You need a better mouthpiece. You don't need to spend a fortune. This topic has been frequently discussed on here producing a range of preferences. My personal recommendation would be for the Bari Esprit II.

Ivan

Undecided
Café Supporter
Locality
Peeblesshire

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
...Selmer do good beginner mouthpieces 'Selmer C' and Yamaha do 4C...

Nb, Selmer C is the tip opening, not the model. What's usually meant/recommended is the Selmer S80 with a C or C* tip opening. These play nicely and are good at blowing through problems in the sax.

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
While the Selmer S80 is a good mouthpiece which I currently use on Sop and Baritone and have tried on alto and tenor, it is expensive. Add to this the confusion for a beginner of picking the right lay and an expensive mistake is easy to make. The same applies to the yamaha and the rico graftonite which while not being expensive have a bewildering array of sizes that are confusing to a beginner.

The Bari Esprit II has many of the characteristics of the Selmer S80 with little of the cost. It comes in only one lay and so does away with the confusuion of picking the right one. Mouthpiece ligature and cap retails for around £20. Once the embouchure has started to develop and this piece is mastered, the search can begin for a more suitable piece.

As far as reeds go the selmer paris S80 prefers french cut reeds. Vandoren classic, rico royale whereas the rico and yamaha prefer american cut, rico orange box, Vandoren Juno. As far as I'm aware , the Bari has an inbetween lay and will play with both. Another point in its favour imo.

kefus

Thanks for all the advice so its a new mouthpiece and different reed just have to decide which now.

kefus

hi for the first 4 month i had weekly lessons, then the teacher had other commitments,so thought i would try it on my own for a while.

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom