All fees from subs and sales are given to special needs music education charities
ArtistWorks

Accessories ReedJuvenator replacement sponge

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
Two people are wondering about this at ArtistWorks. One if asking about getting a replacement. He says he has gotten no answer from the maker's web site or their Facebook page. That's shabby work - often a product of a wen form that doesn't actually send the message, etc. Anyway, I happened to be in the process of building my own little reed box and I bought a couple of sponges today. When cut, it looks exactly like the one in the ReedJuvenator, except mine isn't triangular.

Does anyone think that a normal sponge will not work in Listerine or vodka to keep reeds moist?

hedgehog

I love singletrack.
Subscriber
The sponge in my ReedJuvenator looks and feels like a plain old cellulose sponge. How about an experiment to check? One failure mode would be the Listerine dissolving the sponge. To check that I'd cut some sponge into a triangular shape and let it soak in a dish of Listerine for several days.

Another failure mode would be the reeds drying out. To check that, just use the same sponge in the ReedJuvenator.

OP
randulo

randulo

Playing alto 25 months
Subscriber
Yes, I think it's just a sponge and I've already started the experiment. I have at least 20 reeds, most of which need to be thrown away, but I noticed they can be revived if moistened and left in the "humidor" box for a day or two. The reason I have so many is because I've tried every reed Vandoren makes, plus some Rico Royals. The Royals don't work for me at all. The Vandorens in Blue and ZZ ("Jazz") in both 2 and 2.5 work with varying degrees of ease. Once I'm able to check them after they're all reasonably moist, I can part with some of them. I'll post again when I see how the sponge works, but it doesn't look to me like there's a problem.

saxyjt

I have saxophone withdrawal symptoms
Subscriber
When cut, it looks exactly like the one in the ReedJuvenator, except mine isn't triangular.
Triangular! :doh:

You can't be serious... And you think it's gonna work? The shape is so very much essentially important. You better start considering a reboot of the whole experiment before it turns into a REAL disaster! :eek:

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

Help!

Top Bottom