All profit supporting   special needs music

Accessories Reed trimmer for soprano sax?

S

Saxamofone

Locality
Contra Costa
I did search the forum first and found a few older posts but didn't find the info I was looking for, so here I am posting a new thread. Hope someone has recent experience and can recommend a product.

I have Cordier reed trimmer for Bari, Tenor and have used them for 50+ years. I have (somewhere, if I can find it) an ancient clarinet reed trimmer but it was always slightly too narrow for soprano reeds. I've used nail clippers with some success .. I've used the coin and lighter trick with some success .. I've even custom shaped an old key for the exact soprano tip shape and used that with the lighter. The best results I've had, so far, for soprano is to use an Alto clipper on the soprano reed and then carefully shape the corners with a glass etched nailfile. That gives me a perfectly shaped soprano reed but takes a few minutes of very patient work (have to use extremely light pressure with the file to get a clean, undamaged tip).

I picked up a cheap, Chinese alto trimmer - I don't play Alto often. It's just a bit too narrow and always leaves a sliver hanging on one side or the other - I saw old posts about cheap Chinese clippers for Soprano - but all of those listings I've looked at have such vague descriptions I have no confidence they are actually for Soprano and probably just another Alto clipper or a clarinet clipper? The cheap Alto clipper actually cuts very cleanly for me and if it were just a smidge wider, I would be happy with it as a trimmer for Alto. Maybe I'll have to open my McScrooge wallet and buy a Cordier :D for Alto.

Does Cordier even make one specifically for Soprano? I don't think I've ever seen a proper soprano sax reed trimmer. Hoping someone here can share some positive results with a currently available product. Preferably one that isn't uber-expensive. Thanks in advance

S

Saxamofone

Locality
Contra Costa
Right after posting that question, I found a Cordier online that says it is for soprano. But the picture has these markings which make me wonder if it is actually for Soprano. Anyone here know what these markings indicate? The "C" makes me think it's for Clarinet but I can't make out the marks between the "C" and the "S|b". French? Maybe someone here knows the Cordier marking code?
SopranoClipper

The two Cordier clippers I've had for ages are clearly for Tenor and Bari:

Vote:
Upvote 0
E

EdJ

Locality
UK
Dawkes do them too I don’t seem to use them as much as I used to but I have the cheaper variant from the Dawkes website which works OK though generically I prefer the Cordier one purely because that was first one I had

Vote:
Upvote 0