support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Reed Keepers and Alcohol

From hearing about and reading of Breweries turning their equipment to producing Hand Sanitiser, I think any alcohol content has to be North of 60% ABV (120 proof) to kill off the nasties.
I'm no expert, so no claims etc... I've got a Bottle of Aberlour A'Bunadh that's about that strength, but I'm not wasting it on reeds.

Yes, the consensus is that 70% is needed to kill bacteria. I'm looking into what may help in mouthwashes without sugar, but alcohol is not the agent killing germs, there are other chemicals.

Yes, the consensus is that 70% is needed to kill bacteria. I'm looking into what may help in mouthwashes without sugar, but alcohol is not the agent killing germs, there are other chemicals.

Original Listerine, was the option I was given. I think other versions of Listerine contain sugar, or something that makes reeds sticky. I bought a bottle of original a Year or so back, but haven't been able to buy another since. Maybe if you found an ingredients list for that.

Original Listerine, was the option I was given. I
Yes, and I still have some left and use it, but it doesn't have enough alcohol in it do actually do the job. It's hard to get, as noted in an earlier thread, too. I'll try to check with our pharmacist and see if he can come up with a replacement. If you look at the details of mouthwashes, there are many different chemical agents that are there to disinfect the mouth germs and bacteria. We as reed players will need something that doesn't hurt or modify the cane! I promise to share any results I find and start interesting arguments informative discussions thereof.

Dry your reeds, Without moisture/water you also get rid of bacteria. Alcohol is sugar. And is more or less water. Bacteria on a reed is on the outside, not so often in . So dry you reed after you've been playing is IMO enough. Dry your reed, a flame make kills all the bacterias and store the reed in salt that soak out the water from the reed. Nothing I would do but it would solve the bacteria thing on or in reeds.

Drying is a good strategy. A little bacteria won't hurt, we have millions of them all over and inside our bodies. But some of us like to keep reeds moist. There's a lot of viewpoints onj whether the reed changes when dried and wet, a little like whether it's better to leaver electronics on all the time or turn them off every time you're not using them. Engineers will usually say to leave it on because of molecular shock and temperature changes. My opinion (everyone has one, is to find a system that fits with your comfort and needs. If it seems to work and you don't die of an infection, it's all good.

I've got a Reedjuvinate. I don't use it that often, in honesty, but when I do I don't use it to kill bugs, but to keep them humidified. I have to admit I don't concern myself too much on bugs and reeds. Perhaps I should!!..

i tried a reedjuvinator and found the reeds were to damp and cloggy so sounded stuffy... I just lay mine in vodka for 3 mins before using clean off with a rizzla and use,, If nothing else it makes the wood taste better.....lol.. hmm wonder if thats why i keep changing reeds:cheers:

These are the principal ingredients in the stuff I have today which I'm trying in my home made reed keeper. It's used in a diluted solution, so we'll see what happens in a week or two.

"Chlorobutanol has been used in anesthesia and euthanasia of invertebrates and fishes" Good to know!

What do you think?

My assumption is that the alcohol, or whatever, in a reed storage container is mainly supposed to kill fungus, rather than bacteria.

Whatever works is what works. I guaranteed a discussion and there is one every time this topic comes up :)

vodka.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I use alcohol or hydrogen peroxide.
It works really well. I soak it for a while then wipe it dry. My reeds are super fresh now.

I use alcohol or hydrogen peroxide.
It works really well. I soak it for a while then wipe it dry. My reeds are super fresh now.
How long do you soak the reed for when using Hydrogen Peroxide? Do you wash it in water afterwards and then dry?

How long do you soak the reed for when using Hydrogen Peroxide? Do you wash it in water afterwards and then dry?
About an hour or more. It doesn’t seem to be ruining my reeds any. I guess some alcohol gets into the reed but alcohol tends to be drying so I’m not too worried about water logging them. Lol

About an hour or more. It doesn’t seem to be ruining my reeds any. I guess some alcohol gets into the reed but alcohol tends to be drying so I’m not too worried about water logging them. Lol
Do you get any fizzing or any observable change?

Original listerine has no sugar in it but is still great for eliminating bacteria and fungus. It’s mostly fungus people need to worry about due to the dampness. Any porous object that consistently damp will grow fungus unless you have fungus killing ingredients in the liquid and it doesn’t have to have a certain amount of alcohol to do that.
Original listerine contains eucalyptus and menthol which kill bacteria and fungus.

Back
Top Bottom