support Tutorials CDs PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Reed Geek worth the money?

I bought the Black Diamond a few weeks ago. At first, I just used it to flatten the backs of the reeds in my rotation and it worked very well in that regard. Then I decided it would be good to learn to adjust other parts of the reed.

I watched Jay Metcalf's video and took a reed I had given up on. After some careful work, I tried it and it played great! Easy to control, my bell tones were easier to play and my sound was fuller. I used it on the reeds that I'm currently playing and it improved every one of them.

I realize that it is an expensive tool and these adjustments can be made with a knife, sandpaper or other tools. If you have that capability, save your money. But I'm not particularly handy with tools, so the Reed Geek makes it much easier for me.

Last edited:
Since getting these then another in 2 strength. Shaving etc has been turned into a thing of the past the 2.5's are stubborn SOB's.

They are good reeds, might want to disinfect em before and after unboxing lol.

if your looking for a cheaper wat to go than buying a reed geek then try getting a RDGTOOLS LATHE TOOL STEEL 6MM SQUARE X 75MM HSS TOOLSTEEL X 1 on E-bay for around £2.50 including postage... if it as good as a reed geek, well no but dose it do the same thing... yes it does... is a reed geek worth 12x more than a lathe tool. I don't think so... i think a lathe toll works really good on my reeds even the rico plastic.... the finish is really smooth even thought you see the machine cuts....
DSC_0954.JPG

Last edited:
Does anyone have any experience with these tools ? They seem to be VERY expensive for what just looks like a simple, small, steel billet. Are they worth the money ?
Before changing to Legere synthetics I used a Reed Geek quite a lot as buying a box of cane reeds generally gave a variety of consistency.Using the geek meant that I was able to get a highet yield of usable reeds.There are a number of good videos online as to how to use it.I found it value for money and beneficial

Long tones...:p But seriously, I use a reed geek. The only thing I am mindful of is turning a stuffy 3 reed into a free blowing 1.5. Loses the core and body.

I recently came across the ReedGeek in some YouTube posts.
I know they have been around a while, but I've never really given it any thought.

But the other day I was having one of my Reed nightmares, and only one good reed (common problem for us all I think).
all other reeds were stuffy, or too hard.

So I took action, and using a very sharp kitchen knife (Japanese steal, so, VERY sharp) and started to scrape the reed as shown
in the reed geek videos. I found it really did make a difference! And now I have a buch of good reeds.
Obvioulsy, using a kitchen knife, or even taking one along to a gig is not the answer.

I'm interested in peoples thoughts on the ReedGeek?

I play the bassoon, so I am very used to adjusting reeds with a sharp knife, but I think the ReedGeek is great. It is particularly useful for flattening the base of the reed, and it can be used for removing cane from the underside as well as the top of the reed.

The only downside is that the ReedGeek is rather expensive.

I had one bought for me as a birthday present a couple of years ago, expensive I agree but I have used it more than I thought I would and its good for adjusting cane and synthetic reeds, very easy to use.

Now, there's the slightly less expensive Reed Geeklet. Anyone comment on it? Who will be first to test this?

Last edited by a moderator: