Accessories Reed Geek

thomsax

This is was I use for reed adjustment ( piece of glas, razor blade, reed cutter, fine sand paper. wet stone and a file).
IMG_3221.JPG

Colin the Bear

I think every player should have a reed clipper. The resurrection device. I have one for all four sizes.

For adjusting I carry a Swiss army (Victorinox) knife. The blades are very good for scraping and the assortment of little gadgets are very useful for emergency or on the job repairs.

As a prelude to adjusting reeds it can be useful to just clean them. I like to clean off the starchy gunk, that some reeds exude, from both sides of a wet reed. It's surprising what a difference that alone can make.

It's important to say that mounting a perfectly flat and adjusted reed on an imperfect mouthpiece will have a less noticeable effect.

Don't forget, it's only the reeds that don't play we adjust. Leave well alone ;)

Pete Thomas

Chief of Stuff
Cafe Moderator
Mmmmmm ........... I’m seriously tempted to go down the Legere route. Are the “Signature” Legeres so very different to other types ?
I found them to be totally different, not only to other model of legere but different to any other synthetic reed. But quite similar to Rico and other cane reeds.

(Disclaimer: I am a Legere endorser).

Last edited:
I think every player should have a reed clipper. The resurrection device. I have one for all four sizes.

For adjusting I carry a Swiss army (Victorinox) knife. The blades are very good for scraping and the assortment of little gadgets are very useful for emergency or on the job repairs.

As a prelude to adjusting reeds it can be useful to just clean them. I like to clean off the starchy gunk, that some reeds exude, from both sides of a wet reed. It's surprising what a difference that alone can make.

It's important to say that mounting a perfectly flat and adjusted reed on an imperfect mouthpiece will have a less noticeable effect.

Don't forget, it's only the reeds that don't play we adjust. Leave well alone ;)
There are clippers ....... and there are clippers. I bought a cheap one from eBay and instead of neatly snipping, it seems to enlist the help of its friend, a bulldog apparently, whereupon the end of the reed is chewed, rendering it totally useless. Presumably there are decent ones on the market. What would you recommend for use on tenor reeds ?

There are clippers ....... and there are clippers. I bought a cheap one from eBay and instead of neatly snipping, it seems to enlist the help of its friend, a bulldog apparently, whereupon the end of the reed is chewed, rendering it totally useless. Presumably there are decent ones on the market. What would you recommend for use on tenor reeds ?
Cordier ones are good, but pricey - £40-£50. The cheap ebay ones are hit and miss.

nigeld

I think I need a different ligature
Subscriber
I tried a cheap eBay one and it was useless.
Cordier and Pisoni are both expensive, but they work.

Colin the Bear

I'm using cordier. My alto and Baritone ones were acquired 30+ years ago and work fine. Tenor was second hand so no idea how old it is. I have tried the ebay ones. I got one for clarinet and soprano for £1.99 and it came with two boxes of reeds all the way from Shanghai, where they appear to recycle old scaffolding poles into woodwind reeds :confused:. The reeds and the clipper were virtually useless.

I've heard tell, on here of people using nail clippers. However, the baritone curve is too large for hand clippers and I don't imagine the reed tastes any better for using toe nail clippers.

You can burn a new edge on a clarinet reed by putting it between two old English half crown coins.

The scenario unfolds thus.

2nd clarinet to 1st clarinet "Have you got half a crown? I need to burn my reed"

1st clarinet to second clarinet "Here's a quid. Burn all of it" ;)

Jazzaferri

Subscriber
One of the things about reed adjustment not often discussed is ensuring back is flat after playing for 5-10 minutes. Swelling under the thicker part of the vamp on teh back of the reed can make for a stuffy reed lacking in response. I found the reedgeek to be an excellent tool for this.

Hold reed up to light and use the sharp edge (not a flat side) to check for lateral and longitudinal flatness.

thomsax

I use Regotti trimmer (soprano-bari) w regulator. I'm on plasticover reeds on tenor so I don't adjust reed so much these days. To make to back side of a reed flat use the file and the wet stone. I thik it's important to work on wet reeds. Let the reeds soak water for 15.20 min before you adjust them.

Thanks ......... the first phrase of your reply sounded a warning to me. You say, “If you know how to adjust redds ...... “. Well of course, I don’t know, but thought a ReedGeek might help me learn.
How does one go about learning to adjust reeds ? Who teaches such mysterious skills ?
Jay Metcalf of BetterSax.com just did a video about ReedGeek a few days ago. Check it out on YouTube, looks dead easy. Apparently also works with synthetic reeds such as Legere and Jay promised another video soon.

Top Bottom