PPT mouthpieces

Accessories Reed Geek worth the money?

BigDoug

Locality
Newcastle upon Tyne
Does anyone have any experience with these tools ? They seem to be VERY expensive for what just looks like a simple, small, steel billet. Are they worth the money ?

Don’t quite follow your reply Jeanette. If you have one, what do you think of it ? Is/was it worth the rather high price ?
Sorry, yes it was a link to another members post.

I bought one, was shown how to use it but rarely do.

Jx

I'm a bassoon player, so I am very used to fiddling with reeds using a knife.
I was very snooty about ReedGeek until I tried one. Now I think it's great, and I use it a lot.

ReedGeek is no better than a sharp knife (in fact it is less handy) for removing cane from the top of the reed.
But the ReedGeek makes it very easy to flatten the underside of the reed (they are sometimes a little bit warped) and to remove cane from the underside rather than from the top of the reed.

I've been using a wet stone since the 70's to flatten the underside of the reed. Mass screws are not good but Klangbögen are better. What's the differnce? They are doing the same job! A cheap wet stone and a reed geek is also doing the same job. But I was taught not work on a dry reed!

Having returned to cane I bought the G4 version. The shaped end does allow easy adjusting of the reed tip much more easily than with a blade or mkI, I would say that I can now get 5 very good and 4 playable reeds out of a box of 10, not mentioning any particular make. This is double the numbers straight out of the box w/o and makes it a worthwhile investment, I have probably already recouped the outlay.
It takes a little while to get to know how to use the tool viewing against the light and making fine adjustments to the fragile tip on a flat (glass?) surface are advised. Practicing on a few old worn, clapped out reeds helps define the pressures or degree of gentleness needed. There a quite a few youtube videos which are helpful.
Regards Al

If you know how to adjust reeds, I found it to be the easiest tool of its type particularly if one wishes to adjust in small areas but I have used razor blades, pocket knife and a small chisel, (as a scraper). I have a couple of reedgeeks that,, like the rest of my reed adjusting tools, sit in wait for the day that I go back to cane.

If you know how to adjust reeds, I found it to be the easiest tool of its type particularly if one wishes to adjust in small areas but I have used razor blades, pocket knife and a small chisel, (as a scraper). I have a couple of reedgeeks that,, like the rest of my reed adjusting tools, sit in wait for the day that I go back to cane.
Thanks ......... the first phrase of your reply sounded a warning to me. You say, “If you know how to adjust redds ...... “. Well of course, I don’t know, but thought a ReedGeek might help me learn.
How does one go about learning to adjust reeds ? Who teaches such mysterious skills ?

For the ultimate in reed geekiness there is Ray Reid's "How to adjust a saxophone reed" 221 pages. I read it and for several years used a dial guage to measure reeds and spent as much time adjusting as practicing. My advice is to not go down that Rabbit Hole.

The easiest system IMO is ATG system. Watch the vid here
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--0D23dIn3o

I used this system for several years during the recovery phase of reed geekdom until I discovered Legere Signatures

I used this system for several years during the recovery phase of reed geekdom until I discovered Legere Signatures
Mmmmmm ........... I’m seriously tempted to go down the Legere route. Are the “Signature” Legeres so very different to other types ?

I used a kitchen knife today on an unresponsive reed. I was quite satisfied with the result. Reed geek might be more practical - but think im going to use a small razor blade instead, which is also cheaper.

I invested in a Reedgeek a couple of years ago and don't regret it. I find it really easy to deal with the regular flattening of the underside.

Dealing with the other stuff requires more personal investment (not financial, time) and is a trial and error exercise until (I hope that time will come) you master the art of balancing the reed to respond as you want it to.

The good thing about the Reedgeek is that it's really small and efficient. I also have a Vandoren reedsomething that's good to flatten the underside and make adjustments, but it's glass and although it's still intact, I always fear I drop it and break it! I'm not too clumsy, but we can all have a moment...

How does one go about learning to adjust reeds ? Who teaches such mysterious skills ?

there are websites and youtube videos if you google 'how to adjust saxophone reeds'
for example this one gives some useful advice -
Reed Adjustment Chart - SAXOPHONE LESSONS IN SANTA ROSA, CA
and there's this from our glorious leader
How to Choose and Work on Cane Saxophone Reeds
Reedgeek have a few videos on their website that may help
ReedGeek

and there's probably more detail in this pdf than you'd want to know - http://makingmusicmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Web-Content-REEDS-BOOK-8.5-x-5.5-2-FINAL1.pdf

there are websites and youtube videos if you google 'how to adjust saxophone reeds'
for example this one gives some useful advice -
Reed Adjustment Chart - SAXOPHONE LESSONS IN SANTA ROSA, CA
and there's this from our glorious leader
How to Choose and Work on Cane Saxophone Reeds
Reedgeek have a few videos on their website that may help
ReedGeek

and there's probably more detail in this pdf than you'd want to know - http://makingmusicmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Web-Content-REEDS-BOOK-8.5-x-5.5-2-FINAL1.pdf
Thanks so much. Hours of study ahead !