SYOS

Reeds Reed for tenor Otto Link

Lloyd

I have just ordered an ebonite Otto Link Tone Edge 6* on approval to replace my Yamaha 5C as I am looking for a fatter sound. I was wondering what reed might complement this. Subjective I know, but I am interested to hear the thoughts from anyone who has one of these mouthpieces.

Moz

I have just ordered an ebonite Otto Link Tone Edge 6* on approval to replace my Yamaha 5C as I am looking for a fatter sound. I was wondering what reed might complement this. Subjective I know, but I am interested to hear the thoughts from anyone who has one of these mouthpieces.
I have an Otto Link Super Tonemaster 7 metal and use Rico Jazz Select strength 3M. I play a 3S(oft) when playing quietly(ish) but find they jam shut or squeak when blasting out, hence the slightly harder one. I did try a 4M for a while but ended up cutting my tongue!

Of course none of this is relevant to the question as I've just realised we are not talking about the same mouthpiece; tone edge/tone master, you'd think they could have thought of a completely different name.:D

Moz

Last edited by a moderator:

TonyMoroney

I found that Rico Jazz Select 2M were awesome on my Otto Link 5* Ebonite, still use them even though I've changed to an Otto Link Metal STM

T>

OP
Lloyd

Lloyd

Interesting, I use the Rico Jazz Select 2Ms on my alto. I might try the tenor equivalent. Thanks for your help.

AlanU

I'd stick with the reeds you are used to.
Change one thing at a time.

Your current reeds will help you evaluate the different mouthpiece. Once you're used to that, then think about different reeds.

Phil

Commercial Café Supporter
I dont know what you came up with but I find Rico Jazz to be harsh. Links really love soft tipped reeds. I prefer Javas, if you like a little more brightness but in that same realm try ZZ's.

OP
Lloyd

Lloyd

Well, I did buy 5 Rico Jazz Selects as I quite like them on my alto. Haven't tried them yet as I am still using up my Rico Oranges. I'll let you know my thoughts.

TomMapfumo

Francois Louis Excellence Reeds are the business (available from Howarth's of London) if you want something fatter and darker, or Marca Jazz if you want brighter. I used RJS's for quite a long time, but am pleased to have switched loyalty! Alexander Superial DC's are also up there.

Went off Vandoren reeds a while ago, and only liked RSJ's from Rico. This is all highly subjective, of course but the above are worth a look IMHO.

Kind regards
Tom:cool:

Saxholder Pro

Members OnlineStatistics

• Members online

• Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fujarka
Help!Mailing List
Top Bottom