All profit supporting special needs music education and Help Musicians

Reeds Reed care.

Fraser Jarvis

Just been looking at getting a Reco reed storage container and I see you put a "Reco reed revitalizer sachet" in the box to keep the reeds at the right humidity...anyone using one? how long do the sachet's last for before needing replacing?

Saxdiva

Older, wiser, should know better....
Locality
Burgess Hill, West Sussex
Just been looking at getting a Reco reed storage container and I see you put a "Reco reed revitalizer sachet" in the box to keep the reeds at the right humidity...anyone using one? how long do the sachet's last for before needing replacing?

I use one. In colder weather the sachets lasted for nearly 4 months. In summer they dried out after about 5 weeks.

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
I use one, without the sachet. Seems to work well. They're not quite ready to play, but certainly not completely dry.

Fraser Jarvis

Thanks for that guys, recent "reed trauma" has seriously put me off using synthetic reeds of any kind, have now gone back to using Alexander NY 3 cane reeds that I forgot I had! massive sound, much better than any synthetic I've tried.

Saxdiva

Older, wiser, should know better....
Locality
Burgess Hill, West Sussex
Thanks for that guys, recent "reed trauma" has seriously put me off using synthetic reeds of any kind, have now gone back to using Alexander NY 3 cane reeds that I forgot I had! massive sound, much better than any synthetic I've tried.

Agreed 100%. Tried the Legere signature which has a great reputation. Sounded ok til I compared it with Alexander DC 2.5s. They are fantastic reeds with a huge sound.

Fraser Jarvis

Agreed 100%. Tried the Legere signature which has a great reputation. Sounded ok til I compared it with Alexander DC 2.5s. They are fantastic reeds with a huge sound.
I once tried a couple of Legere Signature's in two different strengths, both sounded crap.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Locality
brighton by the sea
Considering what you do I'd have thought plasticovers might be your kind of thing.....

ProfJames

Elementary member
Locality
Berkshire, UK
Never tried a Plasticover. What is the difference between them and a Legere for instance?

Colin the Bear

Locality
Burnley bb9 9dn
Look like they're dipped in chocolate. Sound like they're dipped in... err...used chocolate heheheheh

Fraser Jarvis

Wonder if anyone is willing to swap a box of plasticovers in either 2.5, 3, or 3.5 for a Harry Hartman carbon fiber reed medium that has only been played a couple of times?

kevgermany

ex Landrover Nut
Café Supporter
Locality
Just north of Munich
Wonder if anyone is willing to swap a box of plasticovers in either 2.5, 3, or 3.5 for a Harry Hartman carbon fiber reed medium that has only been played a couple of times?

As in 'Wanna cut through the mix? With a Hartman you can cut through your lip at the same time!!!'

dooce

Locality
Daventry
After years of cynicism about stuff like this I got a Vandoren reed box which has an indicator that tells you when to top up the bit of sponge with water. Criminal amount of money but it works and wouldn't be without it now.

TomMapfumo

Locality
Skabertawe, South Wales

The Alexander NY reeds are great - often use them on soprano too.

Fraser Jarvis

The Alexander NY reeds are great - often use them on soprano too.
Did last nights gig using an Alexander NY 3, these things really rip! can hear myself now over that bloody trumpet! may look at getting some harder ones next time though...

Members online

Popular Discussions

London
Paris
New York
Los Angeles
Sydney
Moscow
New Delhi
Top Bottom