PPT mouthpieces

Reeds Reed and Mouthpiece disinfectant

SaxMart

Locality
Kent England
Hi, Since I believe that Listerine original ( as the only product recommended for use in Reedjuvinate ) appears to be discontinued does anyone have any advice for disinfecting/storing reeds especially with the current corona virus situation. I already wash and disinfect my mouthpiece
Thanks
Marty

I use (unflavoured) vodka in my Reedjuvinates. Have done for a couple of years now, at least. Works fine,. I'm not sure that it would kill the virus (I think you need at least 60% alcohol for that) but if you don't let anyone else handle your reeds, that should be OK.

I'm in USA and purchased a bottle of original Listerine a few weeks ago at a local drug store/chemist. It's still on their web site. Possibly it's just in short supply now?

I'm in USA and purchased a bottle of original Listerine a few weeks ago at a local drug store/chemist. It's still on their web site. Possibly it's just in short supply now?
Hi doesn't appear to available in UK not on Amazon UK at all

I use hydrogen peroxide which was readily available in most chemists (UK)...but now, I'm not so sure.

Worth a look, and it's cheaper than Listerine or vodka!

Last edited:
I don't let anyone else use my mouthpieces. That should do the trick.
I don't actually have Reedjuvinate and just store my current in use reeds in basic reed guards, do you have a regime for soaking/disinfecting your reeds or just store them

I don’t see a connection with Coronavirus unless you share reeds with someone else. But I would be the first to admit if I’m wrong. We don’t yet know much about it

I don’t see a connection with Coronavirus unless you share reeds with someone else. But I would be the first to admit if I’m wrong. We don’t yet know much about it
I agree Pete, I'm looking for general guidance on reed hygiene and although I don't own a reedjuvinate I used to soak my reeds in original Listerene now and again as a precaution and since this no longer appears to be available I was looking for a workable substitute

Coronavirus is believed to live on surfaces eg mouthpiece/sax/case for up to 48 to 72 hours and able to infect and add to the viral load of an already infected person. It is advisable to daily clean these surfaces and wash swabs to prevent adding to any infection.

Symptoms are virus load dependent: the more virus you are infected with potentially the more severe the symptoms.

People over 60 (mortality rate 15% vs 2% for younger people) and those with diabetes, heart/respiratory issues, high blood pressure, smokers are at greater risk.

The virus does its damage primarily at night in the lungs. Before going to bed UK health authorities have recommended washing face and hands with soap/disinfectant including 1cm into nostrils.

Source: Guardian newspaper reporting on UK advice.

Coronavirus is believed to live on surfaces eg mouthpiece/sax/case for up to 48 to 72 hours and able to infect and add to the viral load of an already infected person. It is advisable to daily clean these surfaces and wash swabs to prevent adding to any infection.

Symptoms are virus load dependent: the more virus you are infected with potentially the more severe the symptoms.

People over 60 (mortality rate 15% vs 2% for younger people) and those with diabetes, heart/respiratory issues, high blood pressure, smokers are at greater risk.

The virus does its damage primarily at night in the lungs. Before going to bed UK health authorities have recommended washing face and hands with soap/disinfectant including 1cm into nostrils.

Source: Guardian newspaper reporting on UK advice.
Thanks for advice Clive good to know

All kidding aside, if your mouthpiece and reed aren't sitting on a table somewhere you don't control (like a gig) you might want to disinfect them, in which case isopropyl alcohol could replace Listerine, a brief bath and rinse with clean water. I don't know if that would hurt the material of either, though. Same with your phone, by the way. If it's sitting somewhere outside your home, it could pick up germs and viruses. The vodka was for a storage box, like the reedjuvenator. I have a couple and I use a sponge soaked in vodka for that. The reeds don't sit in it, they are in the cases they're sold in in that box or jar.

Last edited by a moderator:
After playing I dry the reed and I store them in a reedholder..Sometimes I use vinegar after playing. Lemon is also fine. A dry reed is the best. The best way to have a wood clean after using it is to: 1. dry it with a paper. 2. let a flame touch the wood. 3. cover it with salt.. The flame kills most bacteria and virus. The salt soak out the water from the wood. It's the water that helps bacteria and virus. This is what we did in restaurant kitchen every day with breadboards (wood) chopping board. It should work on reeds (not plastic or plasticovered) as well. But I have never tried;). .

My tutor advised leaving my reed in the sun to help kill bacteria

Jx

I don't actually have Reedjuvinate and just store my current in use reeds in basic reed guards, do you have a regime for soaking/disinfecting your reeds or just store them
They live in vodka.

If we are talking about efficient ways to pass the virus around, then forget about using cash money...

If we are talking about efficient ways to pass the virus around, then forget about using cash money...
Many business machines have those slots for bills and coins, but I've not adopted the habit of paying for everything via contactless card held in a gloved hand.

Back
Top Bottom