Tutorials

Recording Recording

Tommy Ng

Hi

Need help!!!

I am going to do recording at home using my notebook. I tried it once long time ago "without an audio interface" and the results were chaotic.

I know very little about recording using PC. Thinking to buy this audio interface.

Alesis iO2

Can someone suggests a good recording set-up (audio interface, mic, software)? I was using Audacity but i know some interfaces only work with specific softwares. I want to be able to "modify" the sax recording a bit (such as adding reverb etc) before combining it with the backing track.

Budget ... say £200+ -

Cheers ;}

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris98

Hi Tommy,

The Alesis iO2 Portable Audio Interface is what crazydaisydoo uses, I think, and he certainly gets good results. There is also the iO2 EXPRESS which is cheaper and on a cursory glance I think the only thing you loose is the 24-bit S/PDIF I/O.

The Alesis comes with Steinberg Cubase LE software which will probably be a step up from Audacity. The LE software, I think, is only available bundled with hardware but the Cubase family of products is well established. I'd suggest if you are getting the Alesis interface have a play around with Cubase and see what you can do, I would expect it to have a better reverb pluggin than Audacity.

Microphones... there are so many that would do a great job for around £100 or less. Do you want a dynamic mic or large diaphragm condenser mic, or small diaphragm condenser mic? If you are only intending it for studio use then a condenser mic is probably the nicest.

This recently got a good review in Sound on Sound: SE Electronics SE X1

Don't forget to budget for a mic stand, XLR cable and headphones.

If you are using a notebook you might at some point want to look at getting an external hard drive, uncompressed high quality audio files take up a bit of room.

All the best,

Chris

jonf

Or, if you want something dead easy to use, with pretty good sound quality at a low price, get a Zoom H2. Mine was £100 used, and it's great, or you can get them for £170 new.

Jules

Formerly known as "nachoman"
Or, if you want something dead easy to use, with pretty good sound quality at a low price, get a Zoom H2. Mine was £100 used, and it's great, or you can get them for £170 new.
I was about to suggest the same thing. great bits of kit

Top Bottom